Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BE licence Car and Trailer test

Options
  • 18-10-2023 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Looking to get the car and trailer driving test done soon and was wondering how does one go about doing it?

I have full car licence.

Do I apply for a learner permit for a trailer?

What happens on the day of the test? Does the tester ask you to drive around the town with the trailer attached and do the same as the car test? Hill Start etc.? Or is it just a practical to see you can reverse around a corner with the trailer? Or all included?

Someone who has done it might fill me in on what to expect?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Was looking into doing this last year and found this page helpful - https://pdt.ie/jeep-and-trailer-lessons/

If you haven’t done a theory test in any category before you’ll have to do that before you can apply for a BE learner permit.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

Yes, same test just with a trailer attached. Specifications of trailer are very prescribed so might be best to rent one from a school for the test. I did it a few years back in Wicklow to make sure i was legal towing the caravan, but couldn't use the caravan for the test. Used a trailer from one of the schools in wicklow with whom i also did two lessons as i had 25 years of bad habits to try and suppress for the test!

Had to do a theory test first as i hadn't done one before.

To be honest it's not difficult and actually very worthwhile to brush up your driving (observation) skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seadin

I passed my car test in 2005 so I have the theory test done.

That's good to know. How many lessons have people gone for the trailer test?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly what trailer do you intend towing and with what car? Some trailer and car combinations are exempt from requiring a trailer licence so you may not need one. The exact rules are complicated and depends on car being used to tow.

Normally you apply for provisional for trailer. Do theory test as separate thing. On day of test you need the correct box type trailer, L plates, reg on trailer must match car, trailer lights need to work and they are likely to ask you to prove it.

The test is mostly normal although they may ask trailer questions. They may ask hand signals. They will probably ask you to reverse the trailer around a corner which can be very difficult if you are not experienced.

It's also a full driving test so they can fail you for anything. I was not asked to do 3 point turn, thankfully...

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

Differences from the B test

A turnabout (3-point turn back in my day) is not part of the BE test.

You will be asked trailer specific questions. Like describe the procedure for hitching/unhitching a trailer.

You will have to reverse the trailer around a corner.

The requirements for the tow vehicle & trailer are very specific. If you have rented from a driving school you have nothing to worry about. If you are using your own rig, then you better make sure you have everything right.

Other than that, it is just like a B test and as @zg3409 has pointed out they can fail you on anything.

For my BE test it was the usual ROTR questions in the office. Out to the car park and there was a brief walk around. I was asked how I would couple the trailer. Lights check etc and then hand signals. After that it was out around the town for 35 minutes or so. It did include a 100km/hr stretch and the tester was clearly checking that I didn’t go above 80km. Back to the test centre* and asked to reverse around a corner (just once). The tester will get out of the car to observe you. Make sure you get your observation right by checking both mirrors, more than once, as you make the turn. It’s not about being able to nail it. You can shunt forward if you need to. My advice is don’t let your ego get to you. If shunting forward will make it easier for you then shunt forward. After that, it should be a matter of going in to pick up your Certificate of Competency. At which point, the android robot you have being interacting with for the last 45 minutes will become a perfectly pleasant human being.

*The test centre I did it at has its own lanes & corners for BE, C & D tests.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement