Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostingpower.ie Experience

Options
  • 18-10-2023 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I wanted to share my recent experience with this company and hopefully stop others into losing their money too.

TLTR: It's basically the equivalent of China stores posing as stores in the EU. Once they get their money, you might receive service, but if anything goes wrong, you're on your own.

My experience: Applied through them for a few studios. Got scammed in the end.

- You don't have many photos or details and cannot get in touch with anyone to ask anything.

- You're asked to apply for several listings, even though you might only like one or two. Option

a) only apply for the one you really like and get declined after a day or two, then rinse and repeat.

b) Apply for several and get accepted by the least suitable with no way of backing down (more to that later)

- Once they take the money, if anything goes wrong, you're screwed.

Got accepted by a host and our info was shared by Hosting Power. The host got in touch with me, only to find out that the studio was on 4th floor, with no elevator. Once I mentioned a knee injury would make it difficult for me to live there, the host declined the booking and that was it.

That was it.... as in "Hosting Power kept my 730 EURs" without even getting in touch.

I got in touch with them, and the emails went like this:

Me (1)

"My booking was cancelled by the host as the studio was on the 4th floor and I have a knee injury. With no elevator available, I wouldn't be able to go up and down the stairs daily, especially when carrying things.Unfortunately, the studio being on the 4th floor was not mentioned in the listing.Now I need to keep looking for rent, but there hasn't been a refund to the 733.05 EUR paid to Housing Power.I feel that more information should be available on your website, especially regarding accessibility, and I would like to be refunded, please.As feedback: there should be a way of asking/answering questions before the booking gets accepted and the fee paid. Paying 733 EUR only to find out the room/studio is unfit for the renter's needs would be ridiculous.

"Them (1)

"First of all, I would like to reassure you that your query is being taken very seriously.You can count on our support. I have just activated a free rebooking on your account so you can move to another property.

You can go right ahead and choose from the other rooms on our website now, without paying any service fee"*Offered "store credit", even though I did nothing wrong.

Me (2)

"I appreciate the free booking.

Unfortunately, I needed to move before 1st of October, and because I was unable to do so I had to convince my current landlord to extend my stay by 3 months, which I have paid.

That means I would have my money locked into the Hosting Power without being able to move for 3 months, or move sooner and end up paying two rents.

When looking for rent, I was also using different platforms, as I could've cancelled any booking made through Hosting Power before the landlord accepted, if I would've found something better on a different platform.

The proposed solution would lock me into just one service, will limit my options and change how I'm looking for rent. I'd rather have the flexibility to choose when, where and how to apply."

Them (2)

"No worries, let me clarify the situation for you.

You can use your free booking for the same duration as the original booking you have paid the service fee for.

Therefore, your free relocation allows you to book any room of your choice while selecting any dates for a maximum duration of 366 days."

*Completely ignores what I have said and still offers "store credit"

Me (3)"

I understood how the free booking works the first time, but this doesn't solve my problem.

I booked a studio. I was charged 733 EUR service fee. The booking was cancelled by the host. I had to arrange and extend my stay in the current location by 3 months. I now have 733 EUR paid for a service I haven't used, and got a "free booking" that I won't need for the next 3 months.

I would like a refund. If that's an issue, please escalate the situation further."

*Please note, at this point I have mentioned TWICE that "THE BOOKING WAS CANCELLED BY THE HOST". This is important, because their FAQ mentions this:

a) Why would my request be declined if the room is available?

"(...) If the host declines your request you won't be charged the service fee and you can request another accommodation."

b) What is the Hosting Power Cancellation Policy?

"If you cancel your request before the host accepts the booking no charge will be applied.

If you cancel your booking after it has been confirmed, the service fee is non-refundable."

Obviously, no mention of "What happens if the host cancels my request AFTER you took my money." because any sane person would expect a refund.

Them (3)"

I would like to reassure you that we are taking your complaint very seriously.

First of all, I would like to clarify that the information on the listing was accurate. Note that indicating if there are stairs or if there's no elevator is completely not mandatory.

Furthermore, I understand that YOU HAVE unfortunately DECIDED TO CANCEL your booking as you have a knee injury and the studio was not suitable for you.

Please keep in mind that as YOU DECIDED TO CANCEL your booking, the service fee is not refundable as the information about your injury was not clearly indicated on your booking request's guest description.

Note that this information should be fully indicated in your description so that your host is well-informed of your injury before they accept your booking.

This being said, I would like to inform you that unfortunately, the service fee is not refundable and no free rebooking can be opened on your account.__But no worries, you can count on us, and rest assured that your satisfaction matters greatly to us. I have decided to make an exception and activate a free rebooking on your account so that you can move to another property if you wish."

*So Susan, being all about costumer service, and taking this very seriously had a few options:

1. Take my word for it, and believe that the host cancelled the booking, as I mentioned TWICE

2. Ask the host

3. Check their system and see at which end was the cancellation done

4. Go ahead and put the blame on me, then call it a day.

So, the lesson here is: If, for any reason, you can't go ahead with the move (be it at your end, or the landlord's end), you'll either lose your money, or get the "store credit" so they can ensure you can't use any other service.

Advertisement