Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KT knowledge transfer discussion group €750.00

Options
  • 18-10-2023 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭

This is starting up soon, worth 750 euro for attending 8 meetings.

Local one starting tonight here for registration I think.

Nice money to pass a night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Places are going to be very limited tho, a consultant with a thousand clients might only haves places for a hundred farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I got a txt off our advisor about it alright but doubt I'll go for it. How long do these meetings last and what's the craic at them?

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks but I was talking to a neighbour that was at one of the acres training days and he loved it. Drinking tae and eating biscuits talking to lads while getting paid.

It is my idea of hell haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Similar experience here myself. Was in one for the first couple of years. Learned deck all. And as I don’t always work local, it was hard enough to get home on time to make them and with kids sports in the evenings it was just not possible to do so pulled the plug.

but if I worked local and didn’t have the kids sports and the wife to manage in the evenings, then I’d probably still be in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I taught its down to 500 this time around. And it has to be done during the day. Last time we done it in the evenings.

• Advertisement

Farmer has to be signed up by November 10th.

Meetings start in January.

750 for each farmer.

Further 500 for each farmer goes to consultant.

8 meetings, covering 8 different topics chosen by dept of agri, all environmental or technology related, very boring tbh.

Minimum of a week between meetings, so one night a week for January and February should see you out.

Consultant over kt group has to be the one doing your biss application, I've now had to change from my normal consultant be cause of this. Presume anyone doing there own biss application for free, may now have to pay the consultant, a strange condition but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

This is from page 8.

The Participant’s KT Facilitator must also be authorised as the BISS agent for the Participant (however there is no obligation on the Participant to have the KT Facilitator submit their BISS application on their behalf).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Dunedin

jan and feb meetings not very handy if calving in them months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

You don't value your time if you think this craic is worth €750.

I'd rather pay to be in a genuine group where you might learn something, than to go to these dole meetings with some 'adviser' who's there to spout shyte and count his cash.

• Advertisement

Up to the group to agree when suits all, can be worked around the 12 months of next year i assume.

January and February be quiet here as well as the rest of the group seemingly , so suits. And at, at least 31 euro a hour for participating, with tea, brack and biscuits provided, along with a while of a craic with other farmers, I value it good.

There's no way I'd go back to KT, rather pull my own finger nails out. We had a good STAP group which turned into our KT group, but KT was terrible, nothing but form filling, no farm visits that I remember and knowledge going only one way.

Yea, the ones at the table said its a lot different and boring than the way it was some years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Aravo

I was in a Beef KT discussion group a few years back. Farmer got €750 then had to each year pay vet to draw up a animal health plan and had to pay ICBF €60 for an additional access to their system.

My facilitator was Teagasc and some others were not members with Teagasc and Teagasc also wanted to hit them with yearly membership fees aswell.

Some discussions were in evening and some were during day and a lot had to take time of work. You could also have a nominee attend. So some lads were sending their Oh along for the few hours.

KT facilitator got €500 per attendee. Teagasc benefited more than anyone.

I would say watch out for the minus figures that the facilitator might be glossing over.

All summed up. Never again for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was in a similar sheep one and you had to get Vet to do up health plan as well which was around €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Sami23

After reading up on the T & C's and you actually have to attend 9 meetings each year - 8 group meetings and 1 meeting 1 to 1 with your facilitator.

It's a lot of meetings when you never know what you will have on so not sure if I'll go for it or not 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

This is a very cynical attitude 😂😂😂. Sure if farmers valued our time most of us wouldn’t be farming the way we are, when did valuing our time come into it. I’ve been in all the beef ones so far, the first few years where we all visited each others farms were good i thought. The later ones where we were stuck in the consultants office for two hours not as good. I can’t join this one as the consultant who does my SFP Acres etc is far away and i can’t join a group with the local consultant. They’re just a way of lining consultants pockets now but they were good crack all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Aravo

I have previously used comment below on threads about other agri related schemes. It fits in nicely here aswell.

I think farming these days is creating a lot of full time jobs for others in auditing, overseeing various schemes, even though the farmer is likely to be part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Sami23

The Facilitators are the real beneficiaries of this scheme.

Fair enough the farmer gets the €750 per year but for a group of 20 the Facilitator gets €30,000 for the 3 years of the scheme 💰💰💰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

That's the problem with most of these groups, the consultant wants the comfort of the office instead of putting the boots on and getting out on farms. Are they afraid of the cold or afraid of being asked a real question?😏 If the group tackled a few things like grazing, silage quality, meal feeding rate, weighing stock and dosing/health advice etc. they would be well worth it. But most consultants are too obsessed with the dole money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Very interesting to see the list of payments made from the CAP budget each year.

It's mouthwatering what some of the advisories are pulling from it..

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

You do realise the DAFM create the schemes and not the advisors

Advertisement