Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in the game-ish.

Options
  • 18-10-2023 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Recently picked up a decently spec'd machine, so should be able to get back into some sort of gaming. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've done any sort of PC gaming (Unreal Tournament anyone?!), I've no idea where to start.

Decent controller, or mouse/keypad?

Nice curved monitor (without breaking the bank).

Where to purchase games (new rig doesn't have a CD/DVD Drive)?

All suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Other than UT, what games were you into?

Decent controller, or mouse/keypad?

Both. Depends on the game and what you're comfortable with. If the game is on console also then chances are either will work seamlessly.

PC and controllers work really well together now compared to UT days. They've been pretty much plug and play since the Xbox 360 era, so if you've a console controller from then onwards you're all set. 8bitdo also have a good range of controllers if you don't want Xbox or PlayStation ones.

Nice curved monitor (without breaking the bank).

The PC Building & Upgrading forum might help you there if you list your specs and budget.

Where to purchase games (new rig doesn't have a CD/DVD Drive)?

I don't think you can get PC games on disc any more anyway.

Steam is the main player, especially if you wait for a sale. You can also get Steam keys from other sites (Humble Bundle and Fanatical for example) which can be cheaper. Bundles will bulk out your library fairly quickly.

GOG is a popular DRM-free store. Not as wide a selection as Steam but still worth a look.

Epic Games are trying to take on Steam by give away a free game or two every Thursday at 4 PM. Some of them are even good. Signing up and downloading their client is free too so you may as well. It's the home of Fortnite and Rocket League too (among other free-to-play games) if you think you'd be interested in online play.

There's other developer or publisher specific shops/clients too (Rockstar, Ubisoft, EA, etc.), indie specific stores like itch.io, and subscription services (Game Pass, GeForce Now) to also try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well @RobertFoster , I couldn't have asked for a better reply. It's exactly what I was looking for, and an excellent starting point for me.

As for games, I used play all sorts of everything. Doom II, Unreal Tournament on the PC. On the consoles, platform games (Sonic, Toejam & Earl, Mario), driving games (Colin McRae, Gran Turismo, Forza), sporty games (Sensible Soccer, Pro Evo, FIFA, Tiger Woods), shooting games (GOW, Splinter Cell, COD), and sneaky games (Ninja, Sniper). Only things that never really grabbed my attention were/are the open world games (Red Dead Redemption, GTA). Don't know why, but I like a set beginning and end.

I'll check out that other forum and see what's what.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I'd recommend PC game pass. Get a feel for what you're into again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks @PixelPlayer .

I'm assuming this is a completely different subscription to the Xbox and requires a new setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Yes PC game pass is for PC only and is separate to xbox game pass, although both can be linked via the more expensive Game Pass Ultimate sub.

The only setup you need is a Microsoft account, you can use an existing one or setup a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 davissgurban

Never even heard of that, thanks, I'll give it a try

Advertisement