Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finding out if a car was registered in NI pre brexit.

Options
  • 18-10-2023 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So this is just about the ONLY feasible way to import a car without being extorted through the gills these days.

I know that if I can prove that a car was registered in NI pre 31.12.20 that it is NOT liable to customs and VAT.

Turns out that is actually quite difficult to source this info as Car dealers cannot transfer previous owners info and going through a V888 in DVLA can take 6 weeks!!!?

Is there any other way I can source this?

I know there a re a plethora of car history check services but cant see any that specify country registration dates.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭gipi

MOT records?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 somethingbleh

Vehicle make AUDI

Date of first registration February 2008

Year of manufacture 2008

Cylinder capacity 1984 cc

CO₂ emissions 183 g/km

Fuel type PETROL

Euro status Not available

Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available

Export marker No

Vehicle status Untaxed

Vehicle colour RED

Vehicle type approval M1

Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY

Revenue weight Not available

Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 16 January 2023

This is all the info I got from this, so no, dont think it can prove the car was in NI pre brexit...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Post edited by jumbone on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's what Revenue say they'll accept:

A vehicle brought into NI before 1 January 2021, and which has remained there since, can be registered in the State with no customs obligations. However, proof of the vehicle’s status in NI prior to 1 January 2021 will be required, for example:

a ferry ticket showing the date of arrival in NI, and which clearly identifies the specific vehicle

a copy of an invoice from a transport company identifying the vehicle and delivery date

tax and insurance details indicating use in NI prior to 1 January 2021

or

a copy of the V5C showing the last registered keeper in NI and a date of registration to that keeper prior to 1 January 2021.

I assume the current owner/dealer has the V5C. Does that not have an NI keeper and a date of their registration? Or is it that the car has passed onto an owner outside of NI since 1 January 2021, and you need to find the historic evidence that it was in NI before then?

Edit: I see the MOT details say "Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 16 January 2023", so I guess the current owner isn't in NI, hence your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Use this to get the MOT History of your car

If you have the last V5 you will need to V5C number from it to be then able to look at where these MOTs were carried out. If any were carried out in NI prior to 1/1/20, this is proof enough for Revenue that the car was in NI pre-Brexit. I used this for a car I imported last year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Motors forum.

Local charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 somethingbleh

Just did this.

This look right to you or was yours different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

I actually sent an e-mail to the DVA in Northern Ireland and they sent me back the details which included locations etc.

I sent the email below to this address (that I found on the Internet) dva.customerservices@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

They actually replied to me with the details I needed in 3 minutes so it must be a fairly standard query for them

Hi

I hope you are well.

I am looking to get a history of all MOTs carried out in Northern Ireland on an XXXX car that I recently purchased.

The current Reg of the vehicle is XXX YYYYY

The full VIN of the Vehicle is VINXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joek101

Hi All

I’m having the same problem I bought a 2019 Hyundai i20 a few months ago. But the problem I’m having is it only had 1 not in NI as it’ was less than 4 years old so I can’t get the MOT history , I phoned the DVLA. In Swansea and they said send in a V888 form explaining you are look for the date the car was first REG in NI 4 weeks later they sent back my letter with my postal order saying they can’t give me the information, WE CANNOT RELEASE DATA OUTSIDE THE UK , so im back to square one , CAN ANYBODY HELP ME

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Could the seller help you make contact with the previous owner if they are NI?

They might provide insurance or similar proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Joek101

unfortunately not he has tried but gdpr rules won’t let him , I know there was 4 owners. As it was a demo car

Advertisement