Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cala D’or (Mallorca) a nice spot for family holiday

Options
  • 18-10-2023 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I am looking to book a cheapish week in the sun next June for 2 adults 2 children (will be 10 and 7). My main criteria is a nice beach, attractive town with nice shops and restaurants (would prefer to not be somewhere with a real tacky strip) and some natural beauty. Mallorca seems to tick a lot of boxes and there seems to be decent hotels at reasonable prices. My worry would be that the town would be a bit tacky or loutish. We don’t want to be in a big party spot. Does anyone have experience of staying in Cala D’or and would you recommend it?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Stayed there a few years ago - family holiday where when we rented a villa.

We were a little bit outside of the main resort but we were lucky that there was complex of shops and restaurants in walking distance.

The main resort had lots of bars and restaurants and was in no way loutish. Stunning coast line and lovely marina. Nice sandy beaches in little coves.

I would usually go to the Canaries and found this place expensive by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Haven't stayed in Cala d'Or but as you mention Mallorca - we have stayed in Port de Pollenca with our kids three times now.

It certainly fits your stated criteria. It has a lovely beach and some excellent restaurants. No tacky strip at all. A nice area along the waterfront also to walk called the Pine Walk with the mountains in the background. Lots of cafes etc. I'd highly recommend it. We've stayed in a 3 bed apartment each time rather than a hotel.

We probably won't be able to return next year but definitely the following year we will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Cala D'Or is a lovely place. We brought our two kids there when they were very young and loved it. Beaches are lovely little scenic coves that you can just rock up with a towel to. Town is nice and not rowdy at all with a nice small port area too. Lovely beaches outside town .. Mondrago is an amazing one. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,260 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Cala d'Or, stayed twice, once 25 years ago, and once 5 years ago. Lovely relaxing place. Great for families.

It is not a big party spot but has plenty of early evening entertainment and restaurants suitable for young families.

A number of different areas to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Thanks for all the replies guys. It sounds exactly what we are looking for. So think my mind is made up. Trying to decide between booking separately or booking a package. Not much in it money wise, but the package has better flight times and transfers etc included. I’ve never done a package holiday before. I presume there are no drawbacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,260 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Flight times change more often with package holidays, so that is a potential issue you could have. However, there is some comfort in having all bookings in same place.

I use package holidays for new destinations, helps cut out easy mistakes, but otherwise compare prices. Hotels booked direct are often cheaper.

Advertisement