Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter bird feeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I get a large bulk bag of seeds etc that last for ages from a person who deals bulk bird/pet supplies... Lasts for months. The little bags in Lidl etc etc are a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Do they have to stay dry outside

I have one of those cylindrical cage type feeders but dunno what to put into it

Seeds would fall out but if I put in peanuts I dunno can they manage to eat them

Yes, especially in this weather.

I have 2 feeders for seeds, with a cover over the top. Cylinder ones. The seeds do not fall out. I'd take a picture except it's dark and lashing outside.

Peanuts work for certain birds so long as they can get to them. I just have the seed feeders and sparrows, robins, tits feeding from them. Plus they knock a load to the ground for other birds that can't use the feeders.

Do they need a very wide cover

Put up a picture when possible thanks

This is what it looks like in heavy rain and dark 😁

Decent lid on top that overhangs the cylinder + clever holes to stop food falling out.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement

That's what I have wouldn't keep anything dry

Nope. That's probably for those fat balls you can get. Have one. Not sure what it's for to be honest. I don't use it

Was wondering about those fatballs would they need to be kept dry

I was shocked looking at the homeland website

All the bird food is literally sweets and fast food for birds

Surely that's not good for them

Seeds seems to be the only sealed feeder

Sunflower hearts , peanuts and fatballs all have cage feeders on homeland so they would be getting wet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

That's for Peanuts! Peanuts are a good all-rounder for garden birds, but there can be issue with them getting wet if the birds aren't eating it fast enough. At this time of year gardens aren't particularly busy, so I'd maybe half-fill it, and check every few days to make sure the peanuts aren't going mouldy. If there's any mould you need to bin them and clean the feeder.

It gets easier from around December onwards because more birds visit gardens, so they get through the peanuts faster and there's less of an opportunity for the mould.

Sunflower seeds, particularly the 'hearts', are loved by all garden birds and leave no mess, so I'd highly recommend them if you can also buy a seed feeder, but again be conscious that the busy garden bird season doesn't really start until December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

At the moment my feeders are as busy as ever. About a dozen goldfinches squabbling over the kibbled sunflower hearts and nijer seed, and various tits attacking the peanuts.

Although some goldfinches migrate south for winter, many choose to remain especially if there is food available, so I guess that's what's happening here as I get them all year round. The other finches have largely disappeared from my garden by now but there are still few chaffinches around.

It all depends on what species you have frequenting your garden I guess.

Do the hearts need to be kept dry

Or is better to keep all the food dry

Theres some small birds about with bright yellow on them recently

The regulars were a couple of robins and a blackbird

Got a gang of sparrows round here on the feeders. Think they are tree sparrows. They shelter in the bushes here. Other birds too, but a lot of sparrows at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Loved feeding but only drew rats , at one stage I saw a rat climb up ,knock off the cover and slip down the feeding tube .

Would that happen to feeders on a clothes line

I'll proujust.stick with handing out a small plate of food to the robins rather than be attracting rodents

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Not really, certainly less important then the peanuts.

Important to say though, it's not that any of it needs to be kept dry, but if any food is out for too long in wet or warm/damp conditions it'll grow mould. You're never going to get a feeder that will prevent that, so it's just about controlling supply if the birds aren't going through it quickly.

House Sparrows are much more common, but Tree Sparrows are possible depending on the place in the country you are. Good way to differentiate is that male and female House Sparrows look different, but Tree Sparrow male and females look the same!

You're one of the lucky ones! I'm only getting a couple of Goldfinches at the moment but I know it'll pick up later in the year. I've seen photos from various parts of the country with good flocks in gardens though.

Goldfinch movements between summer and winter are pretty complex, but overall very few move south/east and we probably receive a lot more than what leaves Ireland for the winter.

We definitely get a Chaffinch influx from more northerly lattitudes, so their numbers will pick up too, as well as natural food in the countryside running out as the year goes on which pushes them into gardens.

Yep, think they are tree sparrows. Don't see any house sparrow males with the big black bibs. North Wicklow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement