Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons Waterford pub is up for Sale (An Geata Arundel)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

That's a real shame, but at least it's all the regions being affected, not just Waterford this time.

I think they're going to struggle to find a buyer, it's a massive building. Hope it's just not left idle if a buyer can't be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

Edit - duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I was only ever in there once for a breakfast, does it do well otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I go in there the odd time for some food and a pint. It's always at least half full, which again given it's size means it's probably along with Geoff's the busiest pub in town. It does well with the Students during the week given the low prices.

Unfortunately I don't think it's anything to do with how busy it is or not, I think from reading the article it's just a strategic decision that Wetherspoons are going to concentrate on the Dublin market in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Maybe Geoffs should buy it for Mark 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭techman1

Probably irish cities too small for wetherspoons, dublin is the only real city, however I am surprised they selling Cork pub, I thought Cork being reasonably big and up and coming would suit them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wondering if theyre heavily leveraged and need to sell property to keep things afloat, rate rises must be squeezing many now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Could be, the owner was a big Brexiteer. The realities of Brexit are taking their toll on a lot of UK companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

from a quick google, you can see they have a lot of debt on their books, but thats probably common enough with such big businesses, but rising rates definitely are squeezing many now, and the fact commercial property prices are in a bit of trouble, i suspect this is really a story of all of that...

brexit probably is also playing a part here, it was never gonna end well for them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭goochy

i live in cork and much prefer the Waterford one , seems to have alot of regulars - will miss it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

This is a loss for the city. The firm did great service saving an under threat pre Georgian building in part of the historic city and provided affordable food and drink. i hope they find a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭goochy

think its got busier since this announced , good thing is they wont close until they find a buyer .

would be great if someone took over as Waterford needs a place like this , more so than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is a shame- was in the one in Carlow a few times and while not Haute cuisine or anything I thought it good value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Where will all the people that are banned from all the other pubs go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Hopefully it will continue as a going concern. Don't care who owns it. That area needs a pub/meals place to keep activity in the area outside the 9-6pm period.

Advertisement