Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Marathon shorts

Options
  • 18-10-2023 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for any recommendations on a pair of shorts that would comfortably carry 4-5 gels. I have a flip-belt and it works well but have a minor issue with it continually riding up from my waist (first world problems eh!). All the shorts i currently have just have the one small zipped pocket at the back which would only accommodate 1 maurten gel and then have loose open pockets at the side which I know the gels will bounce out of at some stage.

Just wondering are their any good alternatives out there to using the flip-belt?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

If you’re only using 4/5 gels hold them in your hand that’s how I do it never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Decathlon trail running shorts are probably the best I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Not sure about the shorts but you could try a well-fitted hydration backpack with lots of slots on the front straps for gels. I got an Inov8 one from Wiggle a while back for trails but I’ve seen them used in road marathons. After a couple of trial runs you won’t even notice it.

Post edited by thehairygrape on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't wear anything new for the marathon that you haven't gotten well used to wearing in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SMACS

Having 4/5 in shorts could cause some discomfort. Ive found using an old ipod armband very useful for carrying gels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Gotten a pair of these recently - at least assume I have. They have the in-built belt on the top? If it is - thats what I’m liking lately as it has the small slit pockets for holding gels along with the carriage space of the built-in belt. Light, comfortable and my choice going into Dublin. A caveat though is I’m using my decathlon running belt and not using the actual built in storage belt as I haven’t trained using it as I’m bringing the flasks for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I've used both the belt and shorts from decathlon for a long time, great quality gear. But ... For the same reason as you I use the belt for carrying soft flasks on really long runs. During one of thes runs I wore the trail shorts as well and scratched my front and back pretty bad, I think the zips on the inner pocket caused it. It might have been just me but I would recommend trying both together on a long run first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I used these for my long runs and marathon last weekend and they worked perfectly. Very easy to access the different pockets and room to put plenty of gels and more in around the whole waist. The only thing I will say is that the lace for tying them tight comes out a bit easily. If there is too much weight in the waste they will tend to slip down a bit but I was also carrying 300ml water in mine. If it was just gels with the right size shorts there wouldn't be an issue.

https://therunhub.ie/collections/mens-running-shorts/products/mizuno-mp-short-m97?_pos=3&_fid=ff4b4a55f&_ss=c&variant=46902426698070

Post edited by token56 on

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

Totally agree with what others said - you should make sure you used them on a few runs, including a long one or two before deciding to wear them for a marathon. However....

I stumbled across a pair of 5" Nike Trail Shorts in the Nike store in Kildare village last year. Love them. Used them in Dublin last year, and bought a couple of pairs of the new version recently and will be wearing a pair in Dublin next week. I've never chafed because of them. 7 pockets in total. I've put 2 gels in each of the side back pockets with zero bounce. The zip back pocket fits a decent size phone. Front zip pockets are big as well. Quite lightweight.

I'll be wearing them with the Flipbelt myself with maybe 4 gels in the shorts and 3 in the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I have these as well and find them great (apart from the lace). They are available with or without compression tights, I'll probably wear the ones without the tights and runderwear boxers underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭winstonia

Soar ones are the best but they are very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Lifestyle have ON running shorts reduced from €80 down to €40 at the minute. Great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Just looked them up. Look good but my God they’re expensive alright. Will be on the lookout for offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

I got a pair of Saksky ones before on sale

Expensive but absolutely the best pair of shorts I have owned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I've a few different versions of these guys. There's 3" ones out there too. Mesh goes the whole way around the waistband and there's a zip pocket too. You'd whole 5/6 gels easy. Very light and good quality. Great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

Bumping this old thread as Im in the market myself now. I was looking at the Nike  trail shorts that TheRef mentioned above but some of the review say the shorts can be a bit restrictive. How do you find them @TheRef?

Besides that, I was looking at the Adidas Terrex shorts. How are the side pockets in them? I saw a couple of reviews saying they are a bit small in that regard.

Any other recommendations welcome?

Im doing a marathon in June so want to get the gear locked in prior to then. I don’t know how many gels etc I will be carrying but likely 6 along with some jellies and a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I went through all this before my last marathon and just ended up buying the decathlon marathon belt and wearing my normal shorts. It did the job perfectly, you don't even notice you're wearing it TBH. There were lots of recommendations for this in one of the other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Buy a flipbelt. Then find shorts that you are comfortable in, no concerns about pockets etc then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

Thanks, I think I'll get that decathlon belt and use it for the long runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

Regarding the Nike Trail shorts (second sunrise), they are the only type I currently wear, no matter the length of the run. Have probably 5 pairs (including 1 pair of the previous version). In the past I used a Asics with inner short liner as well as other brands but much prefer the Nike.

I find they fit well, are comfortable, lots of pockets, well made, zippers on side pocket good quality, zipped back pocket holds a standard size phone. I've never had a reason to change, but I've no doubt there are better shorts out there, but its totally subjective. They do have enough pockets to store enough gels, salt tabs, phone, keys etc. but not really water.

Saying that, I have found on longer runs with the phone in the back pocket that it can chafe somewhat. Also, just a few times (and I've used them on a lot of long runs, but just a small few times), the phone seems to maneuver its way in the pocket that gives the slightest of bounces. Now, it rarely happens, but still.

When I do run more than 16k, depending on distance, I either use a Flipbelt or a hydration vest, unless I'm in a race. I sometimes find the Flipbelt is somewhat uncomfortable after a while as its not adjustable and find it maintains a little pressure where I would like it a little looser, but that could be just me.

I'm very happy with these shorts, but its very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭sann

I bought these about 4 weeks ago and I am very impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MooShop

Didn't realise they did these in a short tight version, must pick up a pair!

I bought these ones about 2 months ago for the Limerick marathon in 2 weeks time. Have been using them on all my long runs and find them very good, really comfortable and can hold lots without bouncing up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Anyone know where you can get 5" split shorts

Advertisement