Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to John Murray?

Options
  • 17-10-2023 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

John Murray took over the Radio 1 9am show from Tubs in 2010 when Tubs replaced GRyan on 2fm, when Tubs flopped on 2fm, he was put back on his old Radio 1 gig and John Murray then became the Radio 1 super-Sub for a year or two filling in on every talkshow from Morning Ireland to the late debate, he was then shoehorned into the sports department and was heard a lot less frequently, he seems to have vanished from sports programs now too, So has he left RTE or is he wandering around the corridors with nothing to do on full pay ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

He moved on from that citing health issues (mental health I think). He Co hosts Saturday sport now as far as I’m aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Hasn’t been on sport for several months at this stage. Not sure if he has appeared elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

John Murray guest presented an episode of "Nationwide" on RTE 1 TV yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seems to be hard to find these days, but with rte you can be sure he's still getting paid a huge chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

so if someone is genuinely ill their employer should just sack them?

I sincerely hope you never manage staff nor operate a company that employs people.

I had a long standing employee unable to work for 3 years. I topped up her social welfare to a level close to what she was getting. Some people said I should not have done that. I will never regret the decision as it was the right decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

He seemed to finish presenting some of the weekend sports programs last year for no apparent reason. Had no background in sport but they found a place for him there. Had also covered Drivetime going back a few years. Presented a four part documentary series called Small Town Trends which went out on Sunday evenings in December. Illness was around ten years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sigma101

He was a good broadcaster. His business show on Saturday mornings was very good. I think his career (and maybe his mental health) took a slide once sections of the GAA mafia decided to cancel him for being #unkind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I used to know John personally. One of the nicest, funniest guys you would ever hope to meet. My only problem with him was his love of Manchester United!!

Enjoyed the programme last night and good to see him looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good to see John Murray back on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

Yes great to see him back, that Nationwide episode on Monday was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

John would be a good presenter on Nationwide. I'd happily swap Bláthnaid out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I'm very sure it is John doing the voiceover for Six Nations promo on RTE TV ?

Advertisement