Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are These Rat Droppings?

Options
  • 17-10-2023 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hiya, I've a feeling they are but could do with confirmation if anyone could help?!

These are beside my front door. Moved a couple of plant pots and there are loads of these droppings

There's a big gap between pavers and the wall going into the ground. Had definitely heard mouse-type noises last winter from that wall in the kitchen

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

The gap beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

maybe, might be hedgehog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would concur with this as rats unlightly to hang around that much in exposed area without serious food source, whereas the 'hog would feed on slugs etc that would emerge for under the slabs at night

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

OK thanks, there's no food source outside, no compost or bins or anything. just kitchen drain and sewer pipe covers

I thought hedgehog poo would be bigger tbh, but i'd be much happier if it were hedgehogs ofc. There are plenty of slugs around alright(north facing, so my plant pots tend to harbour loads of them underneath)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭andyd12

Buy a large bait box, big enough for rats & mice. And start baiting them and make sure to keep topped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tphase

Looks like ratshit alright

Not going to use bait/poison as don't know if they're getting in somewhere, and i don't want them dying somewhere I can't get at them - so I'll just get traps and set a few up

plenty of bait boxes in the estate that i'm in, but this is new, so maybe they've just decided to set up house under my front path in the last couple of weeks.

It's not exactly a high traffic area even though it's the front door, but still surprising to me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get a trial cam. Or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tphase

You can use poisons that make the rats thirsty so they seek water rather than look for a cosy spot inside to curl up and die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Looks like rat droppings. Rats tend to gather them up in the one place like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

You cant. Those type of poisons have been banned for decades.

All poisons available to the general public in Ireland are anticoagulants. They die from internal bleeding hence going to warm places to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

You cant. Those type of poisons have been banned for decades.

All poisons available to the general public in Ireland are anticoagulants. They die from internal bleeding hence going to warm places to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭andyd12

Not so sure about them going to warm places. I bait them and I find them out in the yard sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Hungry Burger

They usually go outside to die with anticoagulants. They get badly dehydrated before the end and go out for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP, quick question. Whats above the poo? Any chance there is a small opening bats can get into? Just seemed strange to have these all around the base of a wall? Still think its rats but worth checking. If it bats I would suspect its one of the rare species (we have the common ones and the droppings are different) also don't forget bats are a protected species.

Wake me up when it's all over.

There's an roofed awning type thing above the door, about 3m x 1.5m of soffit, so it tends to be very dry generally (NE facing)

There's a light in the soffit where the screw-in globe fitting has come off, (so bare bulb)

might be space for them to get in but it's not directly over where the droppings are. They're right up at the wall

- hadn't considered bats at all, are there any that roost in the open?

I've seen a lot more droppings since, some were very wet-looking when new I think.

I'm not at all sure what to make of them, but haven't had a chance to deal with it since. Would be much happier if it were bats and not rats. Wouldn't bother them if it were, happy to have them around

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Goodigal

They look too mushy to me but I don't know if that's down to them being rained on. Should be more pellet like. Solid as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

I assume that you prodded a few of them to see that they are solid and poo like and that they are not cysts of some insect - just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eronayne

Could be shrew

Advertisement