Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance question

Options
  • 17-10-2023 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

New driver, first time car owner. 20 years old. Got second hand car worth 5k.

4 weeks later writes it off, missed a tight turn. Driver ok. Car a wreck.

So the insurance was a just for women thing, comprehensive, about €1300. Includes a step back claim discount.

So its now a maths exercise to see does she write off the 5 grand or claim for the value of the car. Question for those who may know.

If she claims for cars value (5k minus the excess) there wont be an increase this year but no doubt there will be next year, question is if anyone knows the insurance policy says

If theres a claim in first year, the NCD goes back to 0 years. But what would this look like for someone on their first year of insurance.

Im assuming theyll hammer her on the policy over the next 4-5 years, would anyone know what that would look like and if would be more than 5k in additional premiums.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

THeir lack of driving experience will count against them.

I have been driving 20+ years and had my first crash earlier this year. Wrote my car off and 2 months later was renewal, I had step back etc and my insurance went up from 480ish to nearly 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Step back no claims bonus usually only begins to apply after a number of claims free years... She has nothing to step back to so will have 0 come renewal.

The next question is about claiming the 5k for the car; my follow up question is, does she have 5k readily available herself to replace it? She already has an open claim so she may as well throw her car into the mix as well. Damned if you don't, damned if you do type of thing here. If it were me, and I intended on continuing to drive, I would claim for my own damage anyway. What is Fully Comp for other than making you and the 3rd party whole after an incident?

What will her premium look like on renewal? The only ones who can answer that will be the insurance company. She paid €1300 this year so it could very well be €3000 next year but it is all speculation. What may happen is she gets a quote for €5000 and that will act as a "we don't really want your business" quote. All speculation until that renewal letter comes in but I would be girding myself for it come next August/September time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Only her car involved in the crash so only her own to worry about. Country road ditch/wall.

Its all about what would the renewal look like here. You summed it up well, she either writes it off this year and Buys another car (it wont be anywhere near 5k) or claims and next year gets hit LARGE. But even if she starts putting away for it, year 2, 3, 4, 5 will see her paying more than 5k (more than what the current 5 grand) what was the point in claiming at all. Some food for thought I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭User1998

How bad is the damage? Can you’s buy second hand parts and have a bodyshop repair the car for cash?

• Advertisement
Advertisement