Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim or pay cash?

Options
  • 16-10-2023 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My partner reversed into a parked car today and damaged its door. The owner is suggesting not going through insurance. Is this a good idea? Should I wait and see what the quote for repairs is like? We don't know the owner so not sure if safer to go with the insurance company.

If paying cash is it normal to give something extra for the inconvenience? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

See if the quote is reasonable. Check the quote yourself with somebody who'd know repair costs. Nothing is paid for inconvenience. If they want anything more go through insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

As Jim_Hodge said, also do dealings through text message or email so you'll have a record of paying the agreed price, don't want them coming back for a second bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd wait until you have a quote so you can make a decision. Was anyone in the car when it was parked, if not that would rule out any potential future personal injury claim so it would be less risky.

Myself with full no claims if I was to do over €1200 ish of damage I would go through insurance, otherwise I would pay it myself (where possible) as the penalty for losing no claims would cost me more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I did the exact same thing at the start of the year, went through insurance and it cost around €2,200. And it wasn't a huge dent in the rear door, think I have a photo still.

Insurance sent me a renewal quote €250 higher than last year, rang and got €200 off so not too bad.

I have full no claims protection also though so hasn't affected my no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 qwq

Thanks for the reply. The damage in our case is a bit worse that that so good to get an Idea of cost.

Did your insurance company give the owner a list of approved garages or did they just get it fixed and then invoice them or how does it work? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 qwq

Nobody in it luckily so makes it a bit more straightforward. Yeah probably better to wait for a quote. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I think the entire door was just replaced so not sure about cost being much more.

I'm not too sure as I just got a letter in the post stating claim has been settled at a cost of €2,200

Advertisement