Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Family Members

Options
  • 16-10-2023 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so i hope this is the correct section for this post.

As the heading says I am trying to get in touch with family members who i lost touch with many years ago.

My name is Ken O'Brien, so lets start on my Dads side of the family; Dad was James O'Brien - born in St Patricks Cottages Rathfarnham in 1912. In 1918 his family then moved to Millbrook Villas, Naas and my Dad was there until 1945. I think my Dad had a brother Donny O'Brien.

My Mums maiden name was Florence Fitzgerald. Born in Barrow Street, Dublin 1916, then lived in Gordon Street Dublin from 1926 to 1945.

They married in 1945.

My auntie on my Mums side was Maureen Hannaphy who lived in Leitrim Place Dublin. She lived there with her husband John Hannaphy along with their 6 or 7 children. They lived there as far as i know from the 1960s ( maybe earlier ) until it was demolished in the 2000s. There were two uncles Eddie and Jack Fitzgerald.

I was born in Grattan Street Dublin in 1952. I was in Dublin last week and the fantastic chap who lives in the actual house in Grattan Street was kind enough to let me have a look inside.

My parents and me moved to England in 1956.

Hopefully there are some descendants out there, so if these names mean anything to anyone on here please let me know. Many thanks. Ken

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi Ken

Welcome - please have a read of our charter and some of our stickies.

We can't actually help you locate living people, but we can leave this post up in case others are searching.

Some general pointers:

It should be possible to trace the cousins through the birth indexes which go up to 1958 (read the sticky called "How to trace your Irish ancestors").

It would be worth doing a DNA test on Ancestry to try and find cousins. Also look them up on Facebook. That is an unusual spelling of Hannaphy. See here for variations: https://johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=hannaphy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement