Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dormer flat roof issue

Options
  • 15-10-2023 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi

We just had our attic converted, dormer with flat roof which has overlapping parts of around 15cm wide on both sides.

Scaffolding is still here so I'm happy using it to paint around higher parts of the new build. However working at the dormer today I spotted these:

On the left side at the front of the overlapping part I noticed cracked part which is also bent and a gap between soffit and gutter.

On the right side, looks like front/corner part was cut and bits broken out to fit the gutter. Unfortunately the gap/hole is quite big plus its just above edge of the flat roof where water will flow into the gutter. It could be an invitation for birds too.

Id say lads might have cut it a bit too much to allow the gutter to be installed and left it like that.

Another guess is that wind might have damaged some of it. When storm Agnes arrived i was in the attic and heard knocking noise like something was flapping and hitting side walls. I mentioned that to the builder and he found that overlapping parts are a bit loose and it could have been that was making that noise. He suggested tec 7 glue/sealant to make them secure.

Question is, what way these corners parts could it be fixed to be secure and prevent any leaks?

If builder says its not a problem I will just try and fix it myself. Bostik has few products that could be handy but would love to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks very much

Post edited by EriktheRed on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Looks like a sloppy detailing on the final piece, which is a shame. Maybe they had issues maneuvering the guttering into place, but not much can forgive that excessive use of a grinder on the roof section. Plus the gutter is impacted, so it can't expand & contract as needed and will make a grinding/grating sound in the wind.

I think from looking at it, it's not going to cause a leak in the medium-term as the damage to the fibreglass and resin finish is sufficiently far out from the facia-boards, supported by the return (turned-in section at the bottom of the flashing). The right end is obviously worse but what I'd ask the builder to do is cut the lip which are impacting on the gutter end-stop (including a small part of the hidden return) and then reapply mesh and resin on that on cut and broken section once it's free of the gutter.

Then also patch the opposite side while he's at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭standardg60

That is woeful work for me, the gutter installers placed the brackets too high and rather than lower them when they realised the ends wouldn't fit they hacked and cracked the fibre glass, which is now under pressure at both ends and liable to crack further.

I would want the gutter lowered and the fibre glass repaired to original.

Advertisement