Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on with Learning support this year

Options
  • 14-10-2023 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭

Anyone experiencing this? It's like many schools/management have come to a joint agreement to make learning support difficult for secondary students to get access to.

I'm hearing from quite a few schools in facebook groups where teachers aren't being timetabled correctly (maybe on purpose!) .

Now it appears the only learning support classes happening, have all the students (plus non-exempt Irish and EAL students thrown in). So traditionally a learning support teacher might have 3 students and another LS teacher would take the other group on a different day.

I would imagine that once a learning support class goes over 10 students it doesn't really help anyone.

Anyone else noticed a change this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Usually if a teacher was short an hour or two, they would be given some SEN or resource classes.

But for the last couple years, inspectors have been demanding a 'core' team rather than random teachers given hours. Wonder if that's playing a part.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I love the way they want all these things but they font want yo resource them properly

They should be told where to go more often or told it'll be fldone when it's resourced properly, until then go f yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There are some 'learning support' classes in my school which have up to 20 students in them, and there's a mix of students across the board in there, from those who have Irish exemptions, but aside from that do not specifically need learning support, students with dyslexia, students who have English as a second language with a range of ability in English. It's not possible to provide the support necessary in classes that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

I suspect the department are happy with this madness because it puts parents off seeking learning support because it's of no value.

Also word will get around between students not to bother.

Schools are happy too with this as it puts off parents of incoming 1st year students with SEN if they know there's no support.

Everybody is happy all around so.

Anyone heard of this phrase 'in class support ' being thrown around?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In-class support is being pushed very strongly by the NCSE and inspectorate . As a model , it flies in the face of "the greatest need gets the greatest support." In primary, withdrawn groups are usually no larger than 4. At present SET teachers are being used to plug teacher absences in many schools.

I do think that the secondary model at present can be haphazard, but without proper resourcing as pointed out earlier, that isn't going to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Are there many schools still not offering the LCA course? a local one to me still dosent have it. I thought most would by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

3730 did LCA for 2023, even considering an average of 10 per class, that's only about half the schools in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Depending on the school, LCA can have a mixed reputation.

Some schools used it as a dumping ground for the students that cause discipline issues so regular LC classes can continue in peace.

Other schools had strict behaviour requirements to get into LCA giving it a lot more standing in the local community.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement