Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone running winter boots for road cycling?

Options
  • 14-10-2023 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Couldn’t find the overshoes this morning so rode without them with cold wet feet.

Anyone running boots? Are they any good?

Haven't had a look online yet but I remember Northwave and Mavic types in the past

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have specialized defroster road ones and I'm going to say Louis garneau MTB ones for commutting

Great for cold. Won't keep the wet out, but keep it at bay a bit longer. I have often combined them with waterproof socks and overshoes and as good as it gets for keeping em dry.

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Cheers I had a read around online today.

That seems to be the score with them alright.

Found the overshoes since at the bottom of a press so I might just stick with them. Always found them grand. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a Northwave pair. Heavy but I find them much handier than putting on overshoes. There is some sort of gaiter thing that you put over your shoe to stop water getting in (rain mainly gets in by sliding down the bib tights)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Maybe not at full price, you often see them for 150-200. I think I got mine for 80 on sale though. It is really the ease of just putting shoes on like you do in summer when doing out the door. I find them better than overshoes in the rain, and I normally don't ride below zero unless exceptionally dry, but I've never had cold feet with them

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have Northwave Artic MTB ones - I use them on the road too (put spd's on the road bike for winter). In the wet/ wet surface, I use gribgrab gators. Better than overshoes in my experience, but water will eventually get in if it is raining (rather than just spray).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Shortly after this thread appeared my venerable (got them in Nov 2017) pair of Shimano RW5 boots finally gave up the ghost in a non fixable way, a couple of times the upper had detached from the sole but liberal use of ShoeGoo had saved the day and kept me moving and reasonably waterproof.

I'd have got another pair if I could have found any but they seem to be discontinued so I went for a pair of Fizik Artica R5s, they arrived from Bike24 on Friday last just in time for the BH weekend, initial impressions after 3 spins and 260 km are very positive, Sat was cool and dry, Sun cool and wet and Mon cool and damp, I never had cold feet, some water got in Sunday but that was wicking down my tights and socks.

I was a 47 in the Shimano, went for a 46.5 in the Fizik based on the CM measurement, some folk say they are narrow fitting but I haven't found that, so far at least they are comfy on a 4 hour spin even while my feet adjust to them. I'm happy so far.

https://www.bike24.com/p2249313.html

I think it's possible to get them cheaper than Bike24 if your size is in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have the Artic 5's for a few years now. Toptip: put a drop of WD40 on the zip every now and then, as the zip dries out/gets dirty over time and will eventually fail. WD40 will prolong the zip life.

if it does break, get a new zip fitted by this guy: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Q7mQgaemsP5Xk68X9

He did a great job on mine (zip he fitted is better then the original)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Advertisement
Advertisement