Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Date Help!

Options
  • 13-10-2023 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So my NCT has been expired since July but ive always had one Booked. Question is tho, Can the Guards/RSA do anything if you are driving on an expired NCT but have one Booked regardless of when it is booked for?.

I ask as the nearest date I can get my NCT for was February which would mean once the car is tested and passed it would only be valid for 4 months before it would need to be tested again.

So, my thinking was to keep pushing back my test date to say June, test it and pass then book another test at the end of July when it expires again. My reasoning for wanting to push the test forward is due to driving a modified car I would have to do some work in order to pass the test like removing window tint, raising the car, putting back in DPF filter and so on. Lot of work for only 4 months of a valid test until it has to all come out Again!.

Anyone know any thing related to this kind of thing, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If you wait and do your test in June, you'll get a full cert, not have to test again in July.

Why not call the NCT and see if you can get a cancellation? They are very good on the phone and you could have an appointment in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭LynchyBai

Do you not only get your test up to the date the last one expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I rang them last week for an appointment, could only get January online. They rang me back within a day and I’m doing it Tuesday.

to answer your question, the booking is worthless, you’re still driving without test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

Obviously the Garda can do something about it, your NCT booking is worthless and your trying to cheat the system by driving an illegal car without a valid NCT for a full year.

Just call the NCT and you’ll get a date within a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Not if you are within 90 days of when your "next" cert would expire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

At present because of the backlog I think they’re just giving a lot of leeway.

The NCT is an example of a system that works perfectly well when it’s running smoothly, but because it’s handling a huge volume, a major disruption (COVID) just causes chaos.

People need to realise that there’s actually no NCT backlog at all.

You call them and you get a date within a few weeks. Even in Dublin.

Its not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's based on the premise that most people want to do a NCT. Some will use the "cannot get a date" as an excuse not to bother trying. These people were dragged there kicking and screaming well before the current problems with the system.

They also need to close the loop hole where booking over the phone doesn't require payment up front, only at the NCT centre. These turn into no shows who just have a date to get them through a checkpoint. No intension of turning up for their booking, sure just ring up again and get another date in case they run into a Garda. They tried closing that by introducing cashless bookings but the government forced them into a u-turn.

Exactly. Sure did you read the OP? Absolutely ridiculous carry on.

The NCT states them selves to book tests through their Online portal. There for, I can only choose the nearest date to me. Shouldnt have to be ringing up looking for earlier dates atall. Also, They have your reg and booking number so in theory there should be a system to stop people exploiting the system if they really cared.

I just think its a joke, I shouldn't have to re-rest the car again due to only getting say 4 months of a valid test after getting one due to backlog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just phone them.

they're very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you really want a test go online about 11.30 any night and look for your preferred centre.

Have the car clean and ready to go because you might get one for the next day

Might give it a try, If i can get a date before Christmas Ill take it, Other wise im leaving it until June as is.

How does the delay work with re-tests though? are they on a separate booking system? Cant see how they expect to get you back in for another test within 30 days if booking normal tests takes months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If we all ignored the online booking and rang I'd say they need to hire more staff to answer the phone, my test is in January it was booked online 4 months ago. My wife's car was tested last month but only got 6 months then it's due again. Cant see this back log going away soon as we are all getting short ncts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

I tried to book online for an appointment in December and the earliest I could get was April next year.

I rang the NCT booking office and they told me that new slots get freed up a couple of times a week, and told me to check online every couple of days .

I did this I actually managed to get an appointment for October .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

You can get lucky online my nct was up in june went online in april on a thursday night got a date for the following saturday!!

Advertisement