Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading brakes on a cross bike

Options
  • 13-10-2023 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice please. My CX bike currently has cable pull disc brakes,with 140mm rotors.

There absolutely shocking.

I've had new pads fitted and I'm looking to upgrade them.

If I replace the 140mm rotors with 160, would that be a good improvement, or should I just upgrade o hydraulic ones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Before you buy anying make sure they are set up and working correctly, cable pull disks should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If they are absolutely shocking and you have already changed pads, I wouldn't expect a 160mm rotor to make any noticeable difference.

Aside from checking that they are set up correctly, I would just check that the rotor isn't contaminated.

Some cable disc brakes are just crap though. The issue with upgrading is that you would need to change shifters to go full hydraulic. I also have a bike with TRP HY/RD semi hydraulic brakes and they are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

140mm is perfect for cross.

Replace all your brake cables with compressionless brake housing and this will improve the braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

cable pull hydraulic calipers - juin tech seem to be the standard!

Advertisement