Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OAK forestry

Options
  • 13-10-2023 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a piece of land with approximately 20 acres of mainly Oak on it and about 5 acres of non planted. There are no payments left on the forestry, they are looking 120K for it but its beside an pNHA and SAC.

Is there anywhere I can find out when it was planted?

Is it worth it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

How big are the Oak?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Around 6-8inches I don’t think there’s any thinking’s done on it, it would be a long term investment.

just re-read that 6-8 inches in diameter (trunk diameter)

Post edited by dto001 on

what kinda land is the unplanted? I am guessing not great based on overall price.

I would love to own an oak forest. That one is prob 25-30 years old. And won’t mature for a long time yet, probly not your life time.

Was it there ever premium drawn on it? What the access like to get the timber out? Can you get a grant for a forest road? How long would the road need to be? Does it have to replanted after clearfell?

How long does it take to mature an Oak forest?

The unplanted land is not great to be honest.

I'm not sure if there was ever a premium drawn on it to be honest. There is a road going straight through it so there's ample access.

Is there anywhere you can find out about if a premium was paid or if it has to be re-planted after clear fell. It looks like it needs to thinned as well the trees are about 2m apart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Oak of that age may have been planted with a nurse species' such as larch which would have been removed after the oak gets established, particularly if there's a 2m spacing between the trees now

• Advertisement

I can't say whether it needs to be thinned, you would probably need a forester to advise you on that, have you enquired from the auctioneer regarding the premiums

80-120 years, depending on the land and management. If they are only 6-8 inches then I don’t think you will see a clearfell in your life if you are over 30. But a wonderful asset for your children (assuming a storm doesn’t take it),

Os the road a farm track? A forestry road with turn table or a public road.

Engage a forester. Spent the 300-500 quid to get them to look into the plantation and maybe meet you there to discuss. Unsure of the potential for profits from thinning a etc. Where in the country is it located?

A forest like that will never be clearfelled, look into, continuous cover forestry, and the Pro Silva movement

I asked the auctioneer but they just sent me the same stuff that was in the listing. I've asked a forester to carry out a table top survey to see if its viable. To be honest I'd like to just own it but I can't warrant putting that much money into something that doesn't at least hold its own. But it could be a good way of leaving my kids a tax free asset in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭accidental forester

No. 1: Is it near enough to you for you to be able to enjoy it? If you can afford it and it won't be a burden, then you can do your part to protect and preserve it into the future. If you enjoy getting your hands dirty, there will be plenty of jobs you can take on; all the firewood you'll ever need is just one of them. Another point, the income from forestry is tax free. The transfer of assets to your children will still be limited by the constraints of the Capital Gains rules; ie. after €335,000, it's taxed at 33%. As I'm not one, confirm this with your accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

I wonder being beside a SAC and nha would you ever get permission to knock? Would they even allow you to do work in the place? Ask the local forester or Teagasc adviser re value. Probably worth only half te asking price IF THAT.

Advertisement