Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-scooters.

Options
  • 13-10-2023 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Q1. Offhand, where are we in relation to the legislation to cover e-scooters ?

Q2. Am I right in assuming that no insurance underwriters are currently writing third party liability policies for these machines ?

I am tempted to buy an e-scooter as I could make good practical use of one. However, I would not touch one without third party liability cover.

Someone did suggest to me that an e-scooter might be covered under the liability section of a household insurance policy just like my bicycle. I am not convinced. Specifically, I still think that e-scooters are actually mechanically propelled vehicles as per RTA 1961. Therefore, any liability arising from a mechanically propelled vehicle is usually excluded from public liability cover.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Did he get the details of the act wrong or has it been changed since?

Should be continuous power output of 500w and max speed of 25kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I'm hoping he got it wrong but if not then the regulations are going to differ from definition in law ie the law defines a PPT as a vehicle "up to" a max 500w and 25km per hour but the regulations state that you can only use PPTs that are up to 400w and 20 km per hour.

400w and 20km is total crap.

Advertisement