Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Private Jeep 4x4

Options
  • 13-10-2023 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi,

Interested in getting a commercial jeep but taxing and insuring as private, I realise its a grey area when it comes to insurance companies but does anyone here know which insurance company/broker would be the best to approach about this?

Thanks in advance,

AK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭User1998

What type of jeep? Why not just get a passenger jeep if your not going to take advantage of the commercial aspect? Lots of commercial jeeps are priced as + VAT too so can be expensive if not VAT registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ak51535

Thanks for the reply, I'll need a crew cab one, looking at a 1.9L Dmax and the insurance companies I've talk to so far say they'll only insure me commercially. One person I was talking to said to try a broker but have come up empty so far. I am a tradesman but a paye employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

I drive a commercial vehicle, taxed and insured privately, and I'm insured with Allianz.

Hi HazeDoll, Is that a crew cab 4x4? told there was no issue doing that with a van but when it came to crewcabs the underwriters wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Try FBD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

There’s a reason for that. If there’s seats behind the driver it’s not a van and obviously can carry passengers so a bigger risk than a van to the underwriters. Surprised nobody will quote you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

It's not, it's just a 2-seater van. Still, it's worth getting Allianz on the phone and explaining your situation. Definitely try to talk to a person rather than looking online for quotes.

yeah will give Allianz a call, called around to a good few others and was told the same thing on the phone. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I find with FBD it's worth calling in face to face. Staff are very helpful.

Advertisement