Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seoul worth a stopover

Options
  • 12-10-2023 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Have a big bday next year and planning on going on a big trip to somewhere never been with Wife and 17 yr old daughter. I have booked a cruise around Japan next June and am now looking at flights over. On long trips I often like to break them up with stops in places I have never been and probably wouldn't go there directly.

Plan is Flight on a sunday to Seoul arrive Monday flight to Tokyo thurs evening, cruise 8 days and then 3/4 days in Tokyo before coming home. Not many up to date posts on Seoul. Don't really know anything much about Seoul, is it worth visiting for a few days. What areas should I be looking in for accommodation, what are the main things we should do. Limited enough budget. I know I have to get a visa. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was there back in May. Seoul felt very American, especially in comparison to Japan. I guess it's to do with the large US military presence in the country. Seoul is still an interesting place to visit and will definitely keep you entertained for 3 or 4 days. Namsan Park is lovely. You get great views out over the city. The Seoul tower is also there as well. The Lotte Tower is worth visiting as well and the Olympic Park is nearby as well. Myeong-Dong night market is great for street food, lovely stuff down there. The DMZ is also worth a visit. Believe it or not Seoul is less than an hour from the border from North Korea. A strange one for you now but the Starfield Library in Gangnam is beautiful. There's a coffee shop in there and it's a great place for a timeout amongst the books.

We stayed in the Four Points by Sheraton hotel near Seoul station. It was a good spot. Seoul Station has good connectivity. The train to the airport, subway trains and intercity trains all stop in Seoul station. Hotels in Seoul are not cheap and the rooms are generally quite small.

Irish citizents don't need a visa to visit South Korea. You have to complete a K-ETA before departure. It's similar to an ESTA for travelling to the US if you're familiar with that.

Advertisement