Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehumidifier Recommendations

Options
  • 12-10-2023 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello

I need a recommendation for a dehumidifier please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I have the Meaco DD8l Zambezi and it’s great, added benefit also is that it warms the place up too.

it’s a Desiccant dehumidifier which is better for colder weather and our winters.

Compressor ones don’t perform as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Thank you, looks like desiccant dehumidifiers are better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Something lower budget?

Maybe up to 100 euro?

Recommendation?

I had the Pro Breeze but it keeps breaking, they send a replacement, it last a few weeks, repeat.

Going to try a different model.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I have two Dimplex everdri. After three years still impressed how much water they pull out of the air.

Bought in argos but prob available elsewhere. Have bought and binned cheaper options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The small ones are a waste of time. And make sure you get one that doesnt beep every time it goes on or off too. So annoying.

Also dont get one of the new ones with the soft buttins that you have to press to switch them on. If you get one with a hard power switch you can just connect it to a wifi socket and use it remotely too or have timer settings on the wifi socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

The dimplex unit I have has the soft touch buttons that you refer to. A wifi switch would not work. Not an issue for me, as we only run them when we are in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

That Drimaster looks interesting, does anybody here have that installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I’m looking for a dehumidifier recommendation.

I’m buying for rooms that are used to dry clothes on a clothes horse indoors, I also need it to be quiet enough to sleep through. Apart from that I’m looking for the usual things; value, low energy cost, long warranty etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It’s a bit expensive for my requirements which are just to make sure the ceiling doesn’t develop mold in rooms I dry clothes in and to do it quietly.

have you owned cheaper dehumidifiers that had were deficient or is this the only dehumidifier you own? What requirements do you use it for?

I might go ahead and buy it but just want to be sure I need to spend 300 euro when an option for 150 euro would do.

my house bedrooms get stuffy in the winter, I use it keep the humidity down and in the box room to dry clothes.

it is a big enough one, that manufacturer do smaller ones tho which I am sure would be good for your needs.

i had a Dimplex condenser one that was crap, they don’t perform well in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 WithTheRanks

Do you find it expensive to run? I'm eyeing up dehumidifiers to buy and leaning towards this one, but the high wattage spooks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 burtner

I also have a meaco dessicant, on low it only uses a little over 300w, this is mostly heat , so it adds to heating the room, so not really wasted energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Have a Meaco and it's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sorry to drag up this old thread, I am looking fro one and was wondering has anyone experience of these?

https://puremate.ie/dehumidifiers/

I was going to buy one of the following, is this what people recommend?

https://www.meaco-dehumidifiers.ie/meaco-dd8l-dehumidifier/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

If you are happy doing your own research https://blog.meaco.com/ has loads of info and because they sell compressor and dessicant models i think they are probably honest.

i have a meaco, seen as a good brand in general, dessicant vs compressor, dessicant are better in unheated places, the efficiency changes over somewhere around 10-15 degrees C depending on humidity and size, i have an older version of the link you sent because its for an unheated garage as well as the house, if it was just the house i would of got a compressor model.

Some meaco models come with an auto on function, so if you have cheap electricity late at night you can set it to come on and go off at those times. I use my DD8L between 2-6am when electric costs 8 cent an hour, i use a smart plug (probably not doing it any good because it has a fan to cool down after use, you arent supposed to just stich off the plug.) It uses 0.33 kwh on low, 0.66 kwh on high, a lot of that is heat so its nice in the winter, not so much in the summer.

What is it for? How big an area is it working on? What time you using it?

I bought the DD8L and just arrived last night, the area is about 150m2 and put it on last night and left going. Tank was full. Had two wash loads done earlier today and left going on the washing mode and came home about 5 hours later, clothes not dry fully but nearly, tank nearly full as well.

Impressed when got up this morning no condensation on any of the windows and normally they are full of it.

I would like it to have a timer so I could set it to come on for night rate but it doesn't. Not it does turn itself on/off once the area hits the right mositure levels so it will save power. So I think at the moment I will just turn it on manually and let it run at nighttime.

Does it work with a smart plug? I have them all over the house but not sure if I turn off power and just turn it back on will it automatically start but should play around with it some more. Impressed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It remembers the last setting if it turns off, so i never have to touch it, it comes on at 2 am on high fan, lowest humidity. It is bad though to turn it off at the plug, you are supposed to use the power button and let it cool down for a few minutes. (i've used it for a few months and just turn it off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Romero

I was lucky to pick up the last 20 litre Meaco Arete and it's brilliant great for drying out the damp air and for drying the clothes. Well worth the money

Yeah I seen that, it cooling down when I turned it off...will do some planing

Ok so some feedback, based on the feedback from @eeepaulo (thanks) I put the Meaco onto a smart plug

So when I first installed and turned on it was going non stop, pulling a huge amount of water out of the house. The tank was full every morning so it was stopping halfway during the night. So I made a 10ltr tank to run a pipe into. Then set it running, so it went from 11-8 every night. Noise was not an issue but we do put white noise on during the night so some people who sleep in quiet might find that different.

Once it had the 10ltr tank it was flying. After the first few nights running like this when I would wake up it was off. So I bought a monitor and the humidity was is down around 40 so it is turning it self off once it gets down.

So after the initial running of non stop it now seems to go for a while and then turn off. So last night it used a total of 1.09kWh. The smart plug's are also energy monitors. Also it means the system gets time to cool down before the smart plug turns off.

So far since I installed on smart plug it has used 19.6kWh but I haven't had it on 30 days yet, in 7 days it is 9.06kWh.

I have to say Im really pleased with it so far and the air in morning does feel fresher. We do open the windows during the day and I was concerned that would just drag the humidity way back up but it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Plumb it outside can't be dealing with tanks longterm waste of time.

That is the plan but Im less than 30 days in and I wasn't going to do it till I was happy it was working.

The house is difficult and the place I want to put it I will need to make a couple of small changes but they will have it more or less out of sight and running the water directly out into a gutter

But for the moment, an old Adblue 10ltr drum, drilled hole in cap and bingo bango a 10ltr tank. I think the one in the unit is 2ltr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Medco Zambezi also……has a laundry setting. Very good.

Advertisement