Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare parts marked "not for campers" - why?

Options
  • 12-10-2023 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Need to get work done on my camper's wheels (worn bearing on one side) and I'll be paying a pro to do the work, but am ordering the parts myself. With what should be the appropriate reference numbers, several of the listings for compatible parts include the comment "not for campers"/"not for motor home" (e.g. see here: https://www.auto-doc.ie/jpn/18076989 ) - especially those rated for 1800kg which is what I need. Any idea why there might be such a note, and would it be okay to ignore it? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My wild ass guess is that campers can sit idle for a long time and one point of load on the parts would be bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 r65

We had a Fiat Ducato based motorhome, and no matter what part you tried to order Fiat seemed to have several different part numbers.

A wheel bearing ordered on the basis of the chassis number might or might not be correct.

The same with brake disks and lower ball joints.

There would be "normal" and "heavy duty" versions.

Probably due to the fact that the average motorhome is always at the weight limit of the base chassis, they were built to the higher specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It seems that in the 2002-2006 Ducato range, a series of four "special camper" models was produced, and it is in reference to these that the notice applies. However, it also seems that several manufacturers (including mine) opted for the regular chassis as the base vehicle.

Using the VIN on the Fiat parts finder, the "special camper" references are all struck out, and I ordered the alternatives. They were delivered to the mechanic on Wednesday, so I'd expect to hear soon enough if they're the wrong ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Well ... Had a phone call from the mechanic's secretary this morning telling me there was "a problem" with the camper parts and could I drop in to see him this evening. Was convinced he was going to tell me that the parts were the wrong size - but no, they were the right ones, so the "not for campers" message was irrelevant, and it's reassuring to know that the VIN is directing me to the right OEM references.

Why he wanted to see me was to tell me that I need to get more parts - the bearings were well and truly wedged into their housings. He got the "good" one out when he managed to break it apart with a 50t press, but the reason-for-replacing one is unshiftable, so the pillar will need to be replaced, along with the driveshaft, which has suffered serious wear at the wheel end.

Advertisement