If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Too Many Qualifications to Study? (again)

  • 11-10-2023 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

    Hi people,

    I have an arts degree pre 2000 and Professional Health qualification from2009.

    I have worked since I was 16 with three or 4 short breaks between jobs.

    im in burnout after 14 years in healthcare , been off for 2 years and very slowly starting to feel more like myself although confidence, memory and energy levels still shot.

    I am definitely on aut/adhd spectrum or possibly some type of social communication disorder. ‘Too smart to be so stupid’ kind of thing. battling depression/anxiety all my life.

    My Question: can I go back to college given ive a level 9 qualification? I can’t imagine using healthcare qualification or surviving in ‘typical’ job setting. Husband earns about 70k but we stretched paper thin with mortgage(s) - reluctant landlord scenario from crash and child.

    I didn’t get grant first time and got part grant for second year of masters,

    Currently doing adult Ed horticulture for therapeutic /human interaction factor as well as genuine interest,

    is a CE scheme a possibility or are they a dead end? Should I wait another year and see if I can get part time job altogether (will lose car etc)

    any advice appreciated,

    best wishes x


  • Registered Users Posts: 17 lindy123

    Of course you can go back to college - nothing stopping you. But I'm guessing you're actually asking about financial assistance. The perfect option for you is Springboard - I've pasted some info below. You may get a course starting next Jan, or may have to wait until next Sept. Best thing is they're free - not means tested! But if working, you may pay a small fee. Great way to reskill in an area in demand - and they are offered at a level to challenge you eg certificate, diploma, degree and even post-grad.

    Alternatively, if you are doing an adult ed course, make an appointment with the Careers Guidance Counsellor in the ETB you are doing the horticulture course in, and they can advise you of options/fees etc. All ETB's have a counsellor and even an Info Officer for adults.

    CE Schemes can be good - if you have a supportive coordinator and decent training options. But I personally would consider it a waste of time for you, as the training is Level 5 usually, and the CE jobs are generally not high-skilled. But if you need instant finance, it can be a good stepping stone back into work.

    Good luck whatever you choose!

    *****Springboard details*********************************

    "Courses offered include:

    • Information and communications technology (ICT)
    • Medical technologies
    • Cybersecurity
    • Sustainable energy
    • Creative industries
    • Online retail

    Springboard has part-time courses from certificate (level 6) to master's degree (level 9) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ). Most of the courses are part-time and last for one year or less, but there is an increasing number of full-time courses and 2-year courses. Most courses are delivered online or as blended learning that combines online and classroom learning." - All info from Citizens Info site.

    From Careers Portal:

    "Springboard+ courses are free or heavily subsidised Higher Education courses that are available at Certificate, Degree and Masters level in areas of the economy where there are identified needs and skills shortages. The places are available in Higher Education Institutions throughout the country in areas including ICT, Engineering, Green skills, Manufacturing and Construction, among many others."