Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking kitchen extractor hood roof vent

Options
  • 11-10-2023 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

The roof vent from our kitchen extractor hood roof vent leaks (as in drip...drip..., so we've lived with it).

1. The vent cover is very slightly under the roof tiles above it, so water can be blown back up and under the roof.
    2. The vent's opening is angled up the roof rather than down it, as I think you can see from the photograph. So, water runs into it rather than off it.

The weight of the tiles doesn't allow me to lift it off and turn it around.

So, is it possible to ease the upper tiles so that the vent could be turned around the other way?

Is it possible to fill the gap that the vent creates between the tiles with some sort of waterproofing compound?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi!

That doesn't look like the correct vent tile to me - you should have a hooded vent tile such as this one:

No way will that tile that you have prevent water ingress unless there is some magic that I can't grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Ahah! Thanks a million.

So, the plastic flange of the one in the photo slips under the upper tile, correct?

If so, will it be necessary to remove tiles to swap out the old vent for the new one?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi - I can't swear for it - all tiles and fittings are different, but that's the general gist of it, yes.

You need to push up the surrounding tiles, they push up into the void under the upper tile. It's like Lego in some ways.

I know that this is a solar install video, but you'll see the process here:

Advertisement