Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Shelly smart switch relays.

Options
  • 11-10-2023 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

So bit of background.

My house is currently going through an extension. during this extension the kitchen and adjacent living room are being gutted and reconfigured as an open space. I was hoping of taking this opportunity of making the light switches smart.

This is an old house and fairly sure there is no neutral wiring in the light switches. So I did some research and found a lot of people talking about Shelly relays were good I also found that there is a Shelly 1L relay that doesn't require a neutral. However when I went to the website the product is listed as not available.

https://www.shelly.com/en-ie/products/product-overview/shelly-1l?_gl=1*eu7k64*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj5mpBhDJARIsAOVjBdqMqua6Ng0-l2VfBWo5C_sWnHWlkHm8xdwYqrKNefv9qgEiai3DZ9EaAmO_EALw_wcB

Anyone know why?

Any of the other products work without a neutral?

We haven't got to the point in the build where we are talking to the electrician, if I asked them about installing smart light switches would they be able to source the necessary switches?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They're releasing a new version of it in a few weeks. (I'm looking to pick some up for the FiL)

You can also use the Shelly Dimmer 2 (no neutral required) at the switch, or you can put any shelly in the ceiling rose itself. I have all of these set ups in my house. If you have an array of spotlights, I'm not sure how that works (Everything here is in single ceiling roses).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭peter_h1979

Thanks for the quick response I looked at the dimmer 2 also but its unavailable as well (perhaps a new version is being released in tandem with the 1L).

I'm curios what's your source about a new version? I did some searches for Shelly 1L discontinued" but didn't find anything official.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I asked them :)

Their customer support are pretty responsive.

Ah okay. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement