Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted Theft…. Or just malicious damage

Options
  • 10-10-2023 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭

Either way I’m sitting here outside work waiting for the Gardai to arrive.

2 little gurriers on electric bikes tried to rob my crosstourer at lunchtime today. Broke the steering lock and destroyed the ignition barrel. Only spotted the damage an hour ago when I went to the underground to drive home.

Theres a decent set of cameras here but I’d doubt anything would be done even if they pulled a wheelie in front of the gardai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Thats attempted theft,

You're lucky they didn't wheel the bike away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Sounds like you escaped by the skin of your teeth. This could have ended up being hacked around by scrotes wearing balaclavas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Well she’s in City Spares today, so hopefully Dan and the lads will be able to tell me tomorrow if it’s an out of pocket job or insurance job in terms of paying for what needs paying for

****... The bike is beyond economical repair. The frame is damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Had her less than a year, but by Jesus that year gave me some of the biggest smiles I’ve had while driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Same here, I’m back on the saddle after 8 years off, a simple CB500 but she gives me a smile rain or sun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's a shame knucklehead. Hopefully you're back on the road soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Really sorry to hear that. Scrotes ruining your pride and joy for a quick failed attempted joyride. Be interesting to see if the gardai can get any evidence from the cameras and then actually do something about it.

• Advertisement

That sucks!!

They put a mates 2021 reg motoguzzi off the road the exact same way! didn't rob the bike, but they cracked the steeringlock and that wrote the bike off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can a steering lock not be welded back to frame ? Would love to physically see that sort of damage.

PM me your phone number or email and I’ll send in the images.

It was the lads in City Spares who tell me she’s BER. They were saying a new frame is needed

Its probally the cost of the hours and work thats making it BER.

one garage told me before that anywork on a subframe is nearly enough for insurance to write off a bike these days.

That’s exactly it. The bike is a 132 reg, so it’s 10 years old.

If I had the time, skills, space and money I’d probably be interested in seeing if I could do it. But I don’t have any of those 4 conditions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No consequences whatsoever in Ireland.

If anyone had tried to stop them the good samaritan would probably have gotten in more trouble than the scum ever would have.

Stopped at the five lamps traffic lights today and a teenage scrote pulls up beside me on his bicycle. Pulls up his hoodie to show me his scars from "crashin a stolen bike". My blood just boiled, I told the little Cnut that I hope he died next time. Engaged first gear and left him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just look at tiktok. There's tonnes of videos, there's photos of them cracking the ignitions open. Guys have photos of themselves with grinders cutting locks and videos of them doing donuts on the stolen bikes. Saw one today and a guy had a screenshot off a stolen bike post on facebook followed by a video of him on it. Another has a collection of photos of him on stolen bikes, about 12 bikes to scroll past. Over €100k worth. Another video of guys on bikes with their foot out pushing a stolen bike down the road that they couldn't start. Faces all visible in some videos, easily identifiable location, very easy to crosscheck friends to see more stolen stuff. It's crazy, thats in 1 hours of me searching, but theres loads more. It would make you puke

So the lesson here is not to use the steering lock and buy a disc lock to go with the chain.

Chain used to be the best because it had to just be bolt cutters resistant. But the problem now is a battery grinder is cheaper than a bolt cutters. And a 2m chain weighs 8kg. I would assume an almax chain would defeat the battery grinder in fairness

• Advertisement

Have an almax and a squire myself. Big investment. And it's weighs a ton. But it was the only way I felt any comfort when I lived in an apartment with underground parking.

I no longer need it for that as I'm out in the sticks with my own garage. However with my new bike I can see me pulling it out of storage for any dublin trips. Simply don't feel safe with just a xena disk lock on.

Reading up on the Roadlok though it looks like a good alternative. Again pricey as fk. But context whys I'd pay that than have someone wheel off with my GS

Mine is an oxford 8mm chain, so either they didn't see that or they had just bought an angle grinder (apparently they were seen in a well known diy store earlier in the day buying something but i'm not being told what).

Either way, when the bike is replaced/repaired (and i've seen the quote for repair, 7.8K, so i expect a phone call to say wrote off) the chain and lock will be getting upgraded and a disc lock will be added to the collection.

A friend had a new Super Tenere stolen in Clontarf, the scrots that stole it started to mock him (the owner) on social media. 😡

If it was a 700 with green hand guards I saw it on tiktik

Should it be like 2 bikes stolen and you lose the hand. Maybe they could take the throttle hand off them.

Lose both hands. Fûck them 😡

I was leaving one hand to let them wipe their tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ChickenDish

My Bike (tracer 9) was stolen three weeks ago. Complacency my end definitely played a part, only lock (didnt even break lock, snapped ring off that holds it) on side gate and small lock on shed. Lesson hard learned my end

Ive since invested a lot of money in making my next bike almost impossible to rob:

• Oxford Anchorforce - sold secure cerfied
    • Oxford Monster ultra strong chain and padlock 14mm - sold secure certified
    • Shed door alarmed - camera and motion sensor in shed connected to phone watch
    • Secure lock on side gate
    • Secure lock on shed door
    • Camera facing shed with flashing blue/red lights, siren & audio (has AI which will only pick up person and not animal)
    • Old fashioned disc lock for back wheel

The scum will have to personally now ask for the keys to get my bike.

I've since seen a few vids of the scum robbing bikes in broad daylight in the city center. Dublin roads are fast becoming the wild west. Roving groups of scum on motorbikes with no helmets all over the roads in Dublin, Guards hands are tied they cannot chase them. Gonna take a few deaths of innocents before anything is done.

Yamaha's (Tracers, Tenere 7s) are rolled/wheeled away and the immobiliser is made redundant using a cheap gizmo bought online. Possibly the same for other brands.

• Advertisement

Might be a bit of pest control going on.

hopefully the gardai are gonna be ok with their career.

Advertisement