Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 25 Games

Options
  • 10-10-2023 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hello All!

Just because it's been an eternity since I posted in here I thought I'd do this. Someone on FB just asked me my top 25 games of all time. It was tough but I think I narrowed it down to these ones, which would be yours? I used https://topsters.org/ to compile but you don't have to, would be interesting to see the variety of everyone. These are not in order by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ooooooo, an again in a random order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

Argh did it at work but didn't hit post comment o\

What I did think is a always forget about a game or 2 like smw looking at the 2nd list or even Mario cart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

This was fun - tried to keep it to one per franchise for the challenge of it, nor in any particular order. Feel like I'd have a different list if even asked tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I don’t even remember posting this….wait…this wasn’t me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

... well, for all the rare gaming exotica that I have in the collection, when it comes down to it, turns out the games I played the most are as mainstream as it gets.

Post edited by Quigs Snr on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah, looks like a thread merge is in order

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ive mine over on the main games forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

I changed mine to include smw and treasure island dizzy lost out and took out mighty pang to include mario kart ,It was close between them all and 3 wonders and heavy rain ?(although not much of a game per se)

res , sf2 ,pang, silent hill ,Im talking about the series manly there

ok i forgot about ori and blind forest and densha de go tehy go in ahead of heavy rain and 3 wonders

Post edited by geotrig on

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭dav09

Probably missed a good few difficult to remember everything on the spot out of the probably 1000s of games I've played. Thinking already could easily have put Simpsons Hit and Run, Rtype, Mai Mai plus a few missing from the site, in random order some of them definitely Nostalgia based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Some great games in here that I had forgotten about that I now need to play again!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

I feel like this could change depending on the time of the day I post it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Pure retro up to the original Xbox and subject to change! Except the Nintendo games... They'll never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Clearly I played a lot of games in the late 90s and early noughties and not a whole pile since then..

Mine would likely change a fair bit, there's some big hitters left out. Nostalgia plays a big part in my top 25 though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Maybe not quite a true top 25, rather a few favourites from each console I owned up to the PS2 era. Top 25 only scratching the surface really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

Apologies, not sure how you're putting those images together with all the cover pictures... you youngsters with your Bebo and Myspace and whatnot...

There's definitively a personal touch to all these lists, nostalgia has a big effect. For me, there are a few classics that always bring a smile to my face. In no particular order:

Raiden (Arcade. Turbographx version was equally good)

Double Dragon (Arcade)

Gorf (Arcade)

Uridium (C64)

Star Wars (arcade sit-in version)

Impossible Mission (C64)

Out Run (Arccade)

Chaos (48K Spectrum)

Starglider (Amiga or Spectrum 128K - both were amazing)

Warlords (Atari 2600)

Virtua Racing (Arcade)

Crash Bandicoot (PS)

Parsec (Ti99/4a)

Commando (Arcade)

Fifa 96 (PC. The only time I played as Ireland against the best teams in the world with it feeling real. "houghton,... HOUGHTON... GOOOOAL!)

Missile Command (Arcade or Atari 2600)

Nemesis (Arcade)

R-Type (Arcade or Turbografx)

Operation Wolf (Arcade)

Tetris (any platform)

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (Amiga - the tune alone makes this one worthy)

Chase HQ (Amstrad or Spectrum 128)

Elite (C64)

Choplifter (Arcade)

Doom (PC, the old version)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

like others I have posted a single game from a franchise but I love the franchises as a whole like Mass Effect, Hitman, Metal Gear etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Chaos, Rebelstar 2 and Laser Squad.

I endorse this message.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seeing a lot of Bioshock and having tried to go back to it it's hasn't held up that well. Also it's basically a worse version of the system shock 2, since it's basically a remake of that game that doesn't play as well and has a narrative that doesn't fit themes as well as SS2. The many representing an ideal collective and shodan representing a complete authoritarian with the player as a medium vs. Do you want to kill children for power.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I just never got into System Shock and even tried it again years later with mods and someone gifted me the new one and had to give up on it after a couple of hours as it was just not for me whereas I love the Bioshock games

The only bit of bioshock that holds up for me is the bioshock 2 DLC which is fantastic, could well argue it's better than system shock 2. I actually prefer bioshock 2 to the first game. The gameplay is a bit more interesting although it's still a bit too long but I also prefer that the narrative isn't so nihilistic.

I think you have to put a bit of time into the system shock games. The both games, but more so the original, have intimidating interfaces but o played them years after they came out and felt they still held up. SS2 does have the same issue as bioshock, in that after the big reveal the game never reached the same heights as those opening hours. System shock 1 I felt was fantastic until the end even if the narrative is way more basic. Looking forward to giving the remake a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

All the Bioshocks have their issues, but Infinite ended up being a crime. It sweet talks you with that jaw-dropping opening and then just **** the bed by being a **** COD and a garbled parable about extremism. That’s even before we get to Burial at Sea wiping its arse on the carpet on the way out.

Yep Infinite was just complete crap with some utterly repulsive whataboutery about racism that can only be described as dangerous. It's like my racist trump loving uncle saying 'but if the black people were on charge would it be different'. **** that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I lik the BioShock games, Infinite the weakest of the three but It was fine imo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

A lot of 'series' games in that list representing more than just one game because I'd be here until eternity plagued with indecision otherwise.

Advertisement