Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 11 activation problem on new build

Options
  • 10-10-2023 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I built a gaming rig and installed Windows 11 (home) via USB.

During that initial Windows install I got a prompt to 'Buy Now', so I did and have the receipt email.

Everything was grand, was installing software, updated drivers and then updated BIOS.

At next reboot Windows complained that it needed to set my login PIN again. So I did.

Now my Windows 11 isn't Activated and it complains that hardware has changed (no hardware was changed).

There's an option to input product key but I don't have one. Checked the email receipt and there's no product key included.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Glaceon

You might need to call Microsoft. Run 'slui 4' and it'll talk you through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Double-check purchase mail. MS would have created account for you (in case you did not have one) license info should be under that MS account.

https://account.microsoft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Ended up having to speak to MS support.

THey provided a Product Key (you don't get one via a digital copy from MS Store).

THey downloaded Windows 11 Home ISO, and essentially re-installed Windows.

So i guess you can't update your BIOS with Windows 11. Though maybe this is a specific problem with MSI mainboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I wonder if I am allowed to install an extra hard drive for additional storage or might this also break the license?

A hard drive will be fine. The activation is tied to data provided by the BIOS. It's unusual that a BIOS update would deactivate Windows though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Comer1

No, you will be good, it's only a change like a motherboard that will cause you problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I believe since Win10 retail license is attached to MS account where you can manage your activation on retail purchases. I have not done , but it is possible to remove key from one device and activate another(also counts if you upgrade MoBo). Not sure if there is limit

You should be able to add or even change C:\ drive(fresh install) without need to re-activate, however i would stay on save side ensuring do have the key recorded.

We are talking about officially obtained licenses, right?

OEM licenses are locked to hardware (MoBo/TPM) and cannot be transferred, but that does not restrain you add/upgrade other components except MoBo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've had to do the sign in and reset pin procedure after updating the bios a few weeks back (W11). It didn't deactivate the license though

Advertisement