Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of asking for a pay rise - advice please!

Options
  • 09-10-2023 8:24pm

I have worked in my current job full time since February, however I first started work there last August as a relief chef. I did most weekends and the odd weekday. Pretty much full time during Christmas and new year though.

So anyway, since February I have started full time. 5/7 days, about 11 hours a day. I am paid hourly.

Throughout the past 6~ months I have been given more responsibilities including handling kitchen ordering, entire section solo & other jobs as necessary which would not be part of my usual duties.

The reason I am thinking of asking for a raise is mainly due to the additional responsibilities involved with ordering and I’m pretty much the only one who does the extra tasks as I mentioned.

Some of these involve driving around town which uses my fuel. Along with that the minimum wage increase is higher than my current pay, which itself is higher than min.

For that reason I think I have a fair case to argue. I do a lot of work each day, some outside my expected usual work, some of these are at cost to me (petrol mainly). I had planned to ask regardless but with the min wage increasing I worry it comes across as a bad time!

I feel like considering the extra workload and etc I am not being outrageous but I’ve never sought a pay rise before favouring to just find a higher paying job in another place, but I’m quite fond of where I work and would rather stay tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Do it. In person. Tomorrow. With the right person. Not some useless manager that thinks he has swing. Go to top guy or maybe HR.

You have all the details there. Have some examples of what other places pay for similar.

Say all that. Say you like working there.

Don't threaten to leave or anything like that.

Don't Leave if they refuse. Stop doing all the extra. Be an absolute arsehole. Do this for a few months. Then start looking for new job.

I did all this apart from looking for a new job. It has cost them tens of thousands so far. They've had to hire extra staff. I won't stop.

Don't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Use of your own car should be covered by mileage, not salary.

You need to go in armed with a list of tangible reasons why they should pay you more, and I don't mean "I was hired to do ABC and now I'm doing XYZ". You need to show them how you've added value, where you're creating efficiencies and - ideally - how you're increasing profitability.

Unless you work in an industry with *extremely* regimented payscales and/or mandated EROs, asking for a percentage rise just because minimum wage went up by X% will get you absolutely nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As well as mileage, they should also be paying to extra required to get your car insured for work use.

(Please, oh please tell us that you do have the insurance, at least. And if you don't then STOP using your private vehicle for work until you do.)

Advertisement