Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified car insurance

Options
  • 08-10-2023 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I’m looking to get a modified car, something like an is200 but tastefully done no boy racer ****. But I’m a novice driver (21) and a male so insurance qoutes are fun. €3800 for third party on an 05 is200 se is the only quote I got. Has anyone managed to insure one for less as a novice? Also did those who did declare all modifications?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

There's no tasteful is200's around, and a 21 year old only passed their test looking to insure one of the top abused cars in ireland any insurance company will have you pay through the nose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd say your problem is three fold; 1) 05 is to old (anything below 15 years is as far as an insurer is concerned), 2) Your age and lack of experience and 3) your choice of car and engine size. This is before we talk any mods on the car (which has been debated but according to some would void your insurance if not declared at the time) if they have not been properly confirmed by an engineer is most likely going to kill any chance for insurance. Basically you tick all the boxes for big claims by hitting someone else (real or faked).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A young driver with a modified IS200 the thing of most insurers nightmares.

They (understandably) don't want that type of risk on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You dont need a car like that at 21, get a ford focus or golf or something, even a corsa, get the lexus in a few years when you have more experience.

I had a 1.4 modified car years ago, I didnt tell the insurance about the mods but never had a crash so it didnt matter but I have seen insurers not pay out for less. I paid near 4,000 euro for insurance when I started driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The fact that you want something like that as your first car has highlighted you as the type of policyholder no insurer wants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement