Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet gear

Options
  • 08-10-2023 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just wondering what wet gear if any, people were over the winter.

I need a new pant as I've started to wear through the knees, the knee pads are Hard plastic and have kinda cut through. I usually done were a waterproof jacket, mostly because I find I sweet to much in them.

So I'm looking for suggestions for particular a pants but if anyone has some good suggestion for a jacket as well, I just might consider getting one.

I have had a Royal waterproof pants and found it very good. Light enough when you're peddling and keeps out a fair amount of water from splashes and fairly heavy rain. I probably wouldn't ming getting another pair tbh, but just said I'd ask for other suggestions or ideas.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭prunudo

Have been using an Alpinestars Tahoe jacket and pants combo the last couple years. Probably good for 3-4 hours moderate rain. The pants seem to let the water in sooner than the jacket. But like I say, they are over two years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Good man. I'll certainly have a look at them 🙏

I was looking at taking the plunge on a dirtlej rain suit last year but couldn't really jusitfy the money at the time. I love mountain biking, but I don't know if I love it enough to be spending nearly €400 on clothing.

I have seen them, and similar to yourself I don't see myself spending that kinda money on one.

My biggest concern would be sweating. I've done a fair. But of road biking over the years and never really wore "waterproof" clothing. Any time I did if felt like Uncle Ben's boil in the bag😂. I've also seen some of the othe brands that sell separate pats and jackets ant they're also expensive if you buy both. I think the Endura Mt500 jack is around €230 or maybe more.

Yeah, I suppose on the flipside, when you look at the price of components on the bike itself. Maybe spending big money on top quailty rain gear isn't as mad as it sounds.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you're talking about there mate, sure don't we all know mtb are virtually maintenance free. Even more true if you have an Ebike 🤣

May not be as dear as I though. Seems good value here.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/dirtlej-dirtsuit-core-edition-black-label-mud-overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I have one of the Dirtlej suits. Got it coming into winter last year from bike-discount.de. Fairly sure I paid €240 for it. Combined with the Goretex 5Ten shoes it did a great job of keeping me clean and fairly dry. There's good ventilation, but it'll still get a little wet from perspiration. Reasonably warm too - I found it comfortable enough to only need padded shorts and a long sleeve thermal top under it.

I actually ordered the Fox defend 3L pants from Bike Discount last night. Decided not to go fot the suit or jacket in the end. Hope it was the right call, only time will tell I suppose

Advertisement