Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Cleaner

Options
  • 06-10-2023 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

I came across a 200ml aerosol of (bicycle) chain cleaner, (it just says "chain cleaner" on the can), in Lidl last week priced at €2.50. A 400ml can of the brand leading motorcycle chain cleaner, M**-Off, costs between €11.00 and€14.00 (plus the cost of going to the shop, or the postage). That quantity of the Lidl's product would only cost a fiver. Does anyone know if there is any risk to my 'O'-rings from using bicycle chain cleaner on a motorcycle chain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I must post a correction;

When I looked more closely at the can I bought I realised that the label said "Chain Spray", and when I looked more closely at the very fine print on the label I discovered that it was, in fact, chain lube, and compatible with 'o'-, and 'x'-rings, so my question above is redundant, but it now looks like it would be more economical to buy this product, meant for bicycles, to lube my chain. Does anyone agree, or disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I used to get caught up in all of these debates around chain cleaners and chain lube but ultimately I think it's more about keeping the chain and sprockets as clean as possible than about keeping them lubricated to the point where it's covered in a thick coating of wax and oil.

If the chain and sprockets are well oiled but also manky then you can imagine that the dirt and oil forms a grinding paste which wears things far faster than a lightly lubed chain and sprockets which are kept clean.

To answer your question - I go with a WD40 soaked rag to clean the chain (or kerosene and a toothbrush if it's that bad). I then use heavy gear oil (EP90 or something around that grade, basically anything you'd use within a shaft drive) and apply that with a toothbrush.

If you're commuting through winter consider a Scottoiler or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Buy a Jerry can, a toothbrush and 5-10 euros of kerosene, don't need any of the stuff from a can and it'll last a couple of years

Gear oil for lubrication

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Yes, I could lift a couple of litres out of the central heating tank, and I've got a can of hypoid gear oil on the back of a shelf somewhere, from when I used to do my own car maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

+1 for Gearbox oil or chainsaw oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Kerosene, gear oil and an old toothbrush to apply it, keep it as simple as possible. No strawberry smelling chain degreasers in a spray can for 20 euro. waste of money and **** goes everywhere

Advertisement