Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: An American Saga - Kevin Costner

Options
  • 06-10-2023 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭

Kevin going Oscar hunting again 34 years after Dances With Wolves with a two parter

All star cast with Costner writing, producing, directing & staring in it alongside.. Sienna Miller, Sam Worthington, Luke Wilson, Jena Malone, Abbey Lee, Michael Rooker, Danny Huston, Isabelle Fuhrman, Jeff Fahey, Will Patton, Tatanka Means, Owen Crow Shoe, Ella Hunt and Jamie Campbell Bower.

Set over 15 years pre and post the American Civil War.

Explore the lure of the Old West and how it was won -- and lost -- through the blood, sweat and tears of many.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Well, I'm interested even if there isn't a whole lot to go on. And I appreciate the ambition in trying to make something grand for the big screen (supposedly a four-movie series when completed), BUT...

I can't imagine it'll be doing anything at the Oscars, the Academy are probably still coming to terms with streaming services, the idea of a 2-parter will surely blow their minds.

And I'm open to alternative hypothesis, but I find a two-parter being released within two months of each other completely insane from a commercial POV. Nobody is going to see Part 2 without having seen Part 1, and there's no opportunity to get that Couch To Theatre audience from those that watched the first at home.

From a marketing POV - hardly an easy sell either, an original IP, and they're trying to frontload the necessity to make two cinema trips within six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder if they'll go streaming heavy early with the first movie. Give it it's 3 weeks or so in the cinema, but then push it hard on streaming immediately after to build the audience of people who can watch the first one at home with that "new movie" feeling, and then pop out the next night to catch part two in theatres.

Might also benefit from a slower release strategy for Part 2 - get it into just enough screens to create buzz to make people watch the first online, and then release it wide maybe 2 weeks later. Of course that only works if its good though. Either way, 2 months does feel like too little between releases, 3 months would've felt a better minimum gap to let it breath, without getting forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It might go up against Yellowstone the remaining episodes in streaming

I am not sure it will do big at the box office

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It'll likely do quite well in the US given the topic, but I'm not so sure how well it will travel from a cinema audience perspective. I really like Costner so I'll be seeing these and most likely buying them afterwards for repeat viewings.

A lot of Costner's work is very under-rated IMO. Granted he's done some crap, but most have. I'll thrown on the almost 4 hour version of Dances With Wolves every now and again just to marvel at it, so I'm in on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full Trailer

Its cinema on June 28th

• Advertisement
Advertisement