Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stinky dishcloths…..

Options
  • 05-10-2023 12:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭

……getting a pain in the hool from them to be honest, then into the bin. Yeah…..cheapo Lidl ones. So am considering getting something like reusable cloths that will go in the laundry every week or so. Seems to be a better option. Cotton or something. With a bit of strength 😀.

But the disposable ones are going for a hike!

Anyone use permanent washable ones?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Use a brush instead. Any cloth is going to end up smelly and require boil-washing on a frequent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, we use old tea towels cut up and sewen into squares.

The trick with dishcloths is to always squeeze them out well and change often.

We don't boil wash ours, just a regular wash with teatowels with a drop of bleach or a spoon of bread soda.

I think most people use kitchen roll and antiseptic spray, now 🙁

Last Christmas, cooking in my sister in law's house, I had to bring my own j cloth and hide it from being thrown out each day 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You aren't going to wipe down a kitchen surface with a wash up brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I find if you rinse them properly afterwards and let them dry rather than just leaving them bunched on the draining board, they don't get stinky. They do still need to be changed and washed every so often, obvs. I know people who throw them on the top shelf of the dishwasher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I wring them out and hang them over the tap. Tea towels over a chair before I go to work in the morning. When I get home from work all t towels and dishcloth are bone dry. They still develop a stink. Just ordered a bunch from Amazon.

”Superscandi…..made in Sweden” Apparently, 30 waste cotton/ 70 wood pulp. Reusable/ washable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭HorseSea

Kitchen roll over dishclothes. But if you want a dishcloth only use for one day and wash, use old tea towels. Otherwise they are a bacteria holiday camp and stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Emblematic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Again, you won't wipe down many draining boards or surfaces with them. I think some people have a different image of what a dishcloth is...."A dishcloth or dishrag is used in the kitchen to clean or dry dishes and surfaces. Dishcloths are typically made of cotton or other fibres, such as microfiber."

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Emblematic

True. Yes, should have said the nylon scourer is better substitute for the dish cleaning function of a dish cloth. For wiping down surfaces, a cloth is better (although I tend to use paper towels), though you can also use the nylon scourer on draining boards, just rinse with hot water once the dirt is shifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Deeec

I use a washing up sponge for washing anything that cant go into the dishwasher and micro fibre cloths for the surfaces. I find putting some antibac fairy liquid directly onto the microfibres and sponge after use and then giving them a swirl around in hot water keeps the smells away. Microfibres get washed in the washing machine along with tea towels every few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I use a “chain mail” square for scrubbing my cast irons and ss saucepans. This doesn’t harbour germs as I can and do “ boil” it clean. Grand.

As pointed out above, for wiping down surfaces and chopping boards etc. and occasionally 😀 wiping that spill on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I put a bit of milton in a ramakin every few days and stick the dish cloth in it for awhile. It then goes in the wash once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Use old Tea Towels. Cut them into two. Use that to wash down counter and sink and anything else. Washed every couple of days and replaced with the other half while washing (in a drop of bleach). Air Dried over the tap when finished with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Same approach in our house.

Again, mainly for wiping down surfaces. We wash them before they get too grimy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I use microfiber dish cloths, wring them out well after each use and hang flat over the tap to dry. They don't take up space in the washing machine so I change it daily or every second day.

All towels and dish cloths are washed together, I put vinegar in instead of fabric conditioner (which should never be used on towels) and they never smell. I air dry them as soon as they're out of the wash or on the radiator in winter, towels go into the dryer to keep them soft and fluffy.

I only use kitchen roll for any spills that would stain the cloths, tomato sauces, curry etc.

Advertisement