Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks S4-E6 "Parth Ferengi's Heart Place" Warning Spoilers Whitin

Options
  • 05-10-2023 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I am guessing this one must have the Ferengi in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a great episode. Poor Boimler lol.

Tendiforde lol.

Oh Marineer. Does she ever learn lol.

Feringanar looked great.

I actually thought at the beginning that that weird Feringe ship might beat the other ship but then knew it would go the same way as all the others.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

An amusing one, and it's nice to see a follow up and advancement of the Ferengi under Rom. It follows the exact same pattern as the rest of the series by focussing on the characters traits and progress. And it's the same for the mystery ship series arc. But on both fronts it doesn't advance them or make any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah, I dunno about that one. Lovely to have Rom and Leeta back but boy has the Nagus power gone to Leetas head.

Sad to see them pursue a Mariner regressing plot, I was kind of hoping they were going to maintain her evolution, I'd be annoyed if she's kicked back down to ensign.

The Tendi Rutherford "love story" was quite over the top.

Ferengi centred DS9 stories were never my favourite and it continues to be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,021 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think we will see Mariner 'grow' from this episode, I think this will be a turning point.

And for the mystery ship - in the other instances it just turned up, right? In this one they had been communicating with the Ferengi on board and specifically came to them/targetted them. I think that was new. Maybe I just missed comments from the crew members on the other destroyed ships indicating they had been plotting with the mystery ship.

EDIT: Read elsewhere there were comments on the others ships too, i just didn't pick up on them. Romulans accused one of sabotage, klingon guy said the captain won't be captain much longer etc. So it isn't new, I just didn't cop it before.

Likely means there will be someone on the Cerritos lower decks gang that tries to sell them out (off one of the other shifts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

How is it that, until this episode, I had completely missed that the Space Koala shows up in the franchise sequence and has been for the last two seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it

Great seeing some of Ferenginar properly.

Nice to have Rom and Leeta back.

Couple of very funny parts. Cop landlord was brilliant.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe not sells them out. Each species was acting on their stereotypical instincts so it could be that Boimler or someone contacts them thinking they are doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ferengi TV was pretty fun. I’m kind of surprised how invested the Ferengi are in romance. I guess there has to be some balance in relation to their unending lust for profit. Only goes so far though, since your marriage is a “lease” that needs renewal, which Rom found out to his own peril.

I also feel that we’re building up to some growth for Mariner here. Her arc in Season 1 was a surprising bonus that won me over on this show, and I get a sense that they know how to write her. They foreshadowed something at her pip-ceremony, that she was horrified to be moving beyond Ensign again. The reference to her “crashing an Oberth” resulting in her recent demotion, makes me wonder if she might have been doing stuff like that to keep her rank as low as she can.

My head-canon theory still is that she held a command during the Dominion War and something horrific happened to her crew that made her want to never be in that position again…but she’s still Starfleet and can’t bring herself to resign, especially with friends onboard. So she’s stuck in this maddening self-destructive limbo. Part of me wonders if Ransom went through similar, and is using some method he has to help Mariner through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah.. that was funny. Would miss the fresher feeling Star Trek Prodigy more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The power hasn't gone to Leeta's head. They were working as a team to, as Rom said, make sure they were making the right choice and doing right for Ferengi. So she was just doing her job.

It was a relief to see that the "Babbling Idiot Rom" was just an act to test Starfleet. The reveal at the end seemed a lot more like the Rom & Leeta I remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First of all, absolute respect to the production for sneaking in an open, if unrelated, reference to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace into the very title. There was otherwise no link to that old show, but it still made me laugh.

As to the episode? It was fine; I wasn't that bothered that Mariner was "regressing", cos it seemed to be the right path really. She once again found herself rising in the ranks and old habits die hard - yet this time she has the seeds of self awareness to interrogate why she acts out. I think this is all leading places.

I thought the Romance plot was way overdone though; a good gag in principle but taken way too far, even if this show could be comfortable with going bananas it didn't work for me. And I'm just confused if this is gonna go anywhere?

Cute to see Rom and Leeta back, the actors too and it has been cool to see DS9 get its.due on this show; we have had plenty of cameos and shout outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

I thought they were Flanderising Rom too much in the beginning but it turning out to be a con was good, he's still a Ferengi after all. Enjoyable overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"Cute to see Rom and Leeta back, the actors too and it has been cool to see DS9 get its.due on this show; we have had plenty of cameos and shout outs"

Would be great if they could get Colm Meaney on to do Chief Myles O'brien in it too or whatever he is now.

I even have a scene for it and all. So if anyone involved in the making of Lower Decks is reading then contact Colm and Contact me here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The episode title puzzled me a little bit afterwards. Why bother referencing Garth Marenghi if the episode itself has no connection to it? They could have done something like have Boimler watch a badly acted Ferengi medical drama instead of the "Landlord Cops". The writers could have also made sly digs at the extortionate cost of US healthcare with how the Ferengi treat healthcare.

I do agree that the Tendi/Rutherford "married couple" story was overdone. It did start out funny but by the time they got to the restaurant it began to feel like a hacky sitcom storyline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or even just a cameo by Matt Berry or Matthew Holness? Least then it'd track - and Berry always seems game for some guest stars.

Mind you, it does dovetail nicely with the fact Gareth Marenghi himself has deigned us worthy of a new book from him, and is touring a book reading n' all IIRC. Think it's on Spotify too, narrated by the Dreamweaver himself.

Advertisement