Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting Tournaments

Options
  • 04-10-2023 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

The City of Dublin has traditionally been one of our strongest and best supported weekenders but the entry so far for this years tournament is very poor. No one has entered the Masters yet and there are five entries in the Championship. Too many people enter tournaments at the last minute when if they entered a bit earlier it would encourage others to enter. No doubt conflicting interests for the "elite" like the 4NCL is another reason for the drop in numbers but that's another story. The bottom line is that if we don't support our own tournaments they will die so c'mon get off your butts and get your entries in!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I agree with you on entering early to help organisers out - though in this case I think it's unfortunate the CoD has gone up against two big sporting events in the Euro qualifier v Greece and the rugby match v New Zealand

Always going to hit entry

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yeah, one of the things we need to look at this year is how to make the league fixtures more compact. With a record number of teams this year, they're even more sprawling than before. Hopefully we can run over fewer dates next year (ie more nights where a club is hosting two or three matches)

That said, none of those games would be impacting the higher sections, which are particularly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

The City of Dublin was traditionally the season opener at the end of August or very early September and entries were large as players sought to clear out the cobwebs. It needs to be moved back to that time in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

The under 2000 Kilkenny Major yesterday was won by a guy with a 2177 FIDE rating but a 17 something Irish rating. I won't comment on what I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 prey20

You must enter the section appropriate for the higher of your national or FIDE rating.

Should be that way in every weekend tournament especially if there is a huge discrepancy between the two ratings. Over 400 points of a gap is clearly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 prey20

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

This seems to me to be a significant mistake. However, it was fairly clear that FIDE had made its mind up before seeking input.

There is NO excuse (unless you count bad manners and laziness) for home clubs not being open and having boards, clocks etc set up and ready to start league matches ON TIME. If they cannot do this and the start of the games is delayed then the home team should be deducted the lost time from their clocks on every board. It is very frustrating after driving a long distance to get to games on time to then find find that the home club hasn't bother its arse to organise things the way that they should.

• Advertisement

I see that all the Irish players got savaged in Sitges this week https://chess-results.com/tnr830639.aspx?lan=1 . No surprise really, I've played there twice and it is by far the strongest tournament I know, even stronger than Gibraltar, The Neckar Open or Linares were. So many underrated youngsters play, mainly Indian, that is well nigh impossible not to lose rating points and lots of them. Amazing tournament to participate in though if you are prepared to see your rating get savaged.

Advertisement