Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to start looking?

Options
  • 04-10-2023 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

My ICE just had to be towed as it’s leaking petrol and the EPC light came on. Im driving a 2016 Skoda rapid and that’s the second time it’s had to be towed in two years. We’ll get it fixed but want to start looking at replacing it. I have a short 20 minute commute and we have a big saloon for longer journeys. The commute can be either motorway or backroads but the motorway is usually only around 100km/h max these days due to the traffic levels I need to be able to fit two full boosters in the back seat. We are past the car seats thankfully.

I haven’t a clue where to start but we’d like to go Electric or hybrid. I don’t like the SUV/crossover or massive saloon cars hence the Skoda rapid. Could anyone advise me on type/makes of car to look at? Feeling a bit overwhelmed when I go into it because I know nothing about any of the types/what’s reliable etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Budget will play a big part in the suggestions you will get here. How much are you looking to commit?

You could look at the VW ID3, Kia e-Niro and any manner of EV "cars" that are out there if you want a full EV. For Hybrids, you have Hyundai, KIA, and Toyota as the mainstay for these and then there are Plug-In Hybrids. All depends on how much you want to spend at the end of the day. 🙂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

nevo.ie is a good site to filter car sizes and prices to get an idea of the type of car you might be interested in. Can then zone in on that and start looking for deals either new or second hand to meet budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Sorry I should have said, we can manage 20-25k I think depending on the outcome with the skoda

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Can't go wrong with a Nissan Leaf if you can get one well priced

They should all handle your commute, although newer ones with healthier batteries will go further. My wife's 2016 24kWh Leaf will travel around 100km, and they all have fast charging so can travel further

I wouldn't call it a long distance EV though, the range is short, the fast charging isn't fantastic and they use the older Chademo plug which isn't being installed anymore

Reliability is top notch, a lot of 10 year old Leafs have never had anything replaced except tyres and screenwash

The Leaf is unique in that it's one of the few EVs that shows its battery health on the dash, making it easy to determine how much it has left

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭User1998

So you’ve had 2 issues in 2 years? Spending €25k on another car is not going to solve your problem. All cars require maintenance from time to time. Suck it up and continue driving it would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

To be honest two major issues that require the car to be towed is not the same as requiring maintenance from time to time

Its a Skoda Rapid, its not an unreliable car by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Does it have the 1.2 TSI engine - injector rail bolt(s) loosening / shearing may be an issue

I’m not great on specifics, my husband would have dealt with it both times but that reads about right. Fuel absolutely everywhere. I’ll pass that on to him

Skoda are generally very reliable I would completely agree but this one seems ridiculous. I’ve had Hyundai, Honda and Skoda in the past. We do maintenance and are used to the odd bigger bill at service etc. Im driving nearly 20 years. Not one car before has ever needed to be towed once, never mind twice! And this was the ‘newest’ car I have ever owned, it was the first car proper car we bought after finances improved in the house

thanks for all the advice, I’ll go look at the leaf now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If it is the injector rail bolts it shouldn't be a big job to fix.

• Advertisement

Sometimes you get the Friday evening car that was assembled in a hurry so the guys could go home 😬

Feel free to ask questions about EVs in general or about specific cars. If you have a budget and general idea of your needs then that can help with recommendations

I would say that owning an EV is fairly contingent on having a driveway and being able to install a home charger. It makes EV ownership a lot easier and more convenient

Hopefully it isn’t a big fix but regardless twice is too many particularly when you are generally transporting kids

No driveway but several others in the estate using the big cable runs on the path at night. Going to pop over to chat to them about how it’s being managed.

Otherwise it’ll have to be hybrid

Okay so I have to let you know that trailing a cable across a public footpath is illegal, even if it's in one of those cable guard things

If someone trips over it and hurts themselves then you're liable to be taken to court

There are other ways to manage it, by using public or workplace charging if it's available

You can also ask the council or management company about installing your own charger. You'll need planning permission, and it adds cost, but some folks here have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Cable across footpath is asking for a chancer to make up a claim from you.

Owner of footpath will not like it and may hassle you.

With that restriction maybe delay as long as possible getting an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Plenty of choice in that price bracket now.

You should be able to get a Kona, Eniro , ID3 for 15-25 no problem 2019-2021.

All decent cars assuming they're big enough for you. Would recommend over a Leaf for the charging plug alone, plus more range.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We've narrowed things down a bit and are going to take the easier road of a mild hybrid for now. Does anyone have any advice on those? Looking at the toyota corolla for example!

Still getting to grips with the language. I mean a car with a battery rather than just ICE. Thats not a plug in car since I don't have easy access to installing a plug

Advertisement