Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2028 (U.K. & Ireland) - Start building the hotels & metro's now...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What's the capacity of the Aviva 52K? Fanzone another 10k maybe.

We get about 10 million visitors a year.

I'd say we will cope without building new hotels or metro's.

Won't stop the usual rip-off Ireland arguments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The difference here will be for a game, instead of receiving a few thousand travelling fans, there'll be at least 40-50k coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The best we could do in that timeframe would be to build proper campsites on the outskirts of the city and run constant buses into the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I assume we get home advantage and maybe if we are lucky get to host a quarter final.

Whatever group we are in will be split with the north in all likely hood, who haven't actually built the stadium yet.

Last year the government projected the economic benefit if Ireland were to co-host the tournament would be €361 million

That isn't justifying metro's and hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sure it's only one stadium in Dublin that's being used. We regularly have huge concerts in Croke Park with people coming from all over, it wont be much different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly, this will be no different with just one stadium in the republic being used.

I'm usually against these things, because they don't actually return what they claim they return and the hosts often end up footing the bill for overruns.

But it's just one stadium that's already in good condition so it's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is no guarantee that Ireland will automatically quality for this.

England will obviously because they are the main hosts, but UEFA will not be giving out 5 automatic spots so it's between the other 4 to argue their case for perhaps 1 other automatic spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1 UK region should get automatic qualification and Ireland. Fairest way since a UK and Ireland bid.

I'm unhappy that, yes we got the tournament by default, but we were used as a mud guard here by the English FA for the choas at Wembley in the Euro 2020 final. We should have said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd expect something pleasingly complicated.

Maybe all 5 countries to take part in normal qualifying, with 2 automatic qualifying places reserved for the best ranked of the 5 who fail to qualify normally. A playoff place reserved for the next failure if they haven't managed a play-off place directly.

So the hope would be that England and at least one other qualify directly, then the two automatic places fall to the two who performed best in the groups and the 5th best performer gets one final shot in the play-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Advertisement
Advertisement