Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peer-Peer EV Sharing Service!

Options
  • 03-10-2023 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi folks, I'm on a research team with ESB Innovation and we're looking into the feasibility of providing a new peer-peer EV sharing service on the Irish market - much like Turo, but exclusively for EVs :) You could also think of it like AirBnB for cars. If you own an EV (or plan to in the near future), please take a look at this short survey. Thanks a mill!

https://electricireland.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bpwLJumlpWw4KSG

Please Note: As part of an ESB Innovation research team, I cannot comment on any queries to do with other businesses in the ESB group, such as eCars, ESB Networks etc, as these are separate businesses.

Mod Note: This was discussed before posting, any random questions for ESB cannot be answered by OP and the posts will be removed as off topic

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 malonef

Folks, any thoughts on this? Feel free to give your thoughts on whether or not you would either

1. Rent out your car to make some extra cash / fund the payments on an EV
    2. Hire your neighbour's car once in a while for a weekend trip etc, so that you can avoid the cost of car ownership altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Probably more interested in renting someone elses car if needed than renting mine out. Bearing in mind that my vehicles are at a minimum 10 years old i would be surprised if they were 'rentable' in the first place.

Big query would be - insurance! Sure you can barely get insurance for anything outside of the norm in this country, how would this work? Does this work in other markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

think the service provider covers insurance etc much like TURO, I wouold be interested in renting an EV and dropping car ownership all together, allows me to try different makes as well

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cromelex

The link throws a certificate error in Chrome, which is a reason why you might not be getting much feedback.

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from electricireland.eu.qualtrics.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn moreNET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Yes, separate insurance cover will be included in the rental fee, so the owner's own insurance will not need to cover it. This is already operating in other markets, Turo is the market leader. However, they rent out any car, not just EVs

• Advertisement

Exactly. That's great vicM! Would you let me know if the survey works OK for you please? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zero interest in some randomer driving my car.

Oops, thanks for flagging!

Strangely, the bitly link has stopped working for me now.

I used this one in Chrome: https://electricireland.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bpwLJumlpWw4KSG

and I got no certificate error, so hopefully that works for you?

That is definitely a common view on the matter :)

What if it was restricted to neighbours, say in the same estate or living on the same road?

New survey link for any car owners out there:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re You could also think of it like AirBnB for cars.

not quite.

AirBnB is a fixed location and you can keep an eye on whats going on.

If the car is used for a crime, or is done for speeding, traffic violations, hit and run, ram raids, who carries the can.

Equally, if it comes back in rag order internally.....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

still no interest, I bought a car I can afford so don’t need the hassle of having a stranger use it.

i want the freedom of car ownership, so I can spontaneously go out to the shops , friends house etc. without having to worry if Pablo will be back on time, will he have charged the car, any damage or till bridges , any parking fines. , etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There was a bit of a trend in the US where Turo just turned into people buying extra cars and then hosting them on the platform. Stories of people buying 5 Model 3's and renting 4 of them out.

Heard about that alright - the more the merrier I say, when its someone investing their capital to provide shared EVs for their community ...

OK I'm going to hold off on the obvious Fr. Ted reference here ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The tax on this would be at your marginal rate so to make any money you'd have to charge more than it costs to rent from a company, I hired an ICE a few weeks ago fully insured for 3 days in Dublin at €110.

You're warranty and consumer protection will be impacted by commercial use of the car

I can't see many people letting random strangers drive the 2nd biggest purchase of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Can't see this being any way remotely viable for anybody except the middleman / platform owner who I presume gets a small commission/ few from every rental because they have the scale.

A single car owner will in no way benefit from this, too much risk and hassle. I'm sure every car rental company on the planet has transactions that go south, damage to car etc.....they rely on scale to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

GO Cars are almost bust in Ireland and their rental charges are very small, and still not tempting enough people on a regular basis.

In the Irish market an EV sharing service is dead before it starts unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Don’t see why this sort of scheme would work for EV’s, if anything its harder than with petrol or diesels, hence we have rental car companies

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LubaDriver

They are? I saw they are investing a further €10m to go nationwide.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback folks. Again, anyone who has a car, please take a look at this survey:

Hi folks,

Just to let you know we'll be closing this survey soon so now's the chance if you would like to complete it. We have had a strong response across the channels it was posted on, but any more responses would be welcomed.

Thanks

Its harder alright, but it's better, so worth trying. Also, in the next few years the number of EVs will be growing exponentially so it will be getting progressively easier to focus on EVs. From the ESB's point of view, it aligns with our strategy to decarbonise transport by electrifying it, as well as reducing cars - so there is a double benefit there for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭SharkMX

By the time you paid the tax on the earnings for something like this in Ireland you would have to charge a huge daily fee to make it worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Filled in the survey. I would consider it. Car sharing is widely believed to become the norm in the near future, but I feel many societies are not yet ready for it and Ireland can be considered quite conservative with seemingly less concern / thought about environmental issues. I also see a lot of electric car / moped sharing services in other cities and countries are not doing all that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Did someone not try this some time back( for all type of cars- Fleet it was called or so? ) - not sure it ever took off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, Ireland only, app suddenly stopped working. Never reached critical mass. Many of the cars were from regular car hire companies but it was aimed at Joe soap hiring out his second or third car to randomers. They included insurance so in theory no insurance worries. We're based in Wicklow town. Join the fleet was the name. It would be even harder now with multiple similar gocar and clones of go car outside the city centres. Go cars now in Bray and Swords etc.

Thanks Unkel, glad you're open to the idea too! Car sharing does seem like something we're inevitably going to end up with more of, but there certainly are challenges. I would be interested in the other electric car/moped sharing services that are not doing well in other cities and countries if you could share that with me please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

I filled out the survey. Car rental is going to be a bigger business for sure- the likes of GO Car will expand but at the end of the day they are just car rental agencies- with a short term rental offering as well as long term offering, and in the survey they are wrongly labelled as Car Sharing services- ESB should have checked this in advance.

Motorists are going to be priced out of car ownership so those that own their own cars are well off etc and the last thing they will want to do is take on the massive liability and headache involved in competing against GO Car and others for what is a tiny potential reward.

Advertisement