Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEG B2 Exam Or Repeat Higher Level Irish in Leaving Cert

Options
  • 03-10-2023 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Everyone,

Decided to rake the leap & take a career move into primary school teaching through career coaching, career exploration through substitute teaching & a lot of self discovery/introspection.

The issue I face to reach my career goal is the Irish PME entry requirement in Hibernia College (most realistic study route for myself). Just wondering if anyone can provide some guidance as to which is the most realistic option to go with 1. TEG or 2. repeat HL Irish at LC (maybe some Secondary school Irish teachers or people who have also faced this issue) for application to the Autumn 2024 intake in Hibernia. Listen, as its the only requirement I need to meet I'm aware of the requirements for full time grinds, hours of study & dedication - changes in poems, sraith pictures etc.

I completed my LC in 2016 and got an A1 in ordinary level Irish. Probably should have done HL as had more than enough capabilities & was one of my favorite subjects & one I found quite easy to learn compared to physics, math's etc. but hindsight is a great thing I suppose😅. I'm aware of all the details of both such as exam dates, application forms to repeat a LC subject etc.

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Hi Bolton,

I would imagine that securing the HL Irish paper might be more manageable than the TEG exam. You can get through the LC with good notes and a good teacher, but TEG isn't the same and tests proper language acquisition. You would be better off doing the lower levels of TEG first to get a feel for it and then try the B2 exam.

There are other courses out there that can be used in place of the B2 TEG, but not too sure which Hibernia recognises at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would go with the LC. It's very hard to get an A1 at ordinary level. You must have had good Irish to get an A1 in a common level oral exam. So I would go for the LC. The TEG is very random, harder to prepare for.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I did my Leaving Cert in 2002 and repeated Irish on its own at higher level in 2014. I went from a B3 in ordinary level to a B2 in higher level. I went to a class than was run specifically for adults repeating Irish. Our teacher was excellent. I also went to conversational Irish classes in UCC to help me with the oral. It was actually fine once I dusted off the cobwebs of my Irish and a lot of it came back to me very quickly. I think a few years of doing college college exams and being older really helped as well. I was offered a place on the Hibernia course but didn't take it up in the end. Lots of people from my Irish class did go on to qualify as primary teachers through Hibernia and have been teaching a good few years now.

Advertisement