Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robocop - Rogue City

Options
  • 03-10-2023 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭

Release has been pushed back til the end of the month but its a day 1 for me. While the gameplay looks fairly by the numbers, I'm a massive fan the franchise and the fact that Peter Weller is reprising the role really sweetens the deal.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have to say it does look like it will be some fun, really should have made a VR version of Robocop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

Iv demo downloaded on steam since weekend must play tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

Ok half hour into demo on steam and I am hooked. Wonder does save carry over? If not I wont play anymore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume they've taken liberties with Murphy's movement speed cos in the film he was fairly slow, what with the deliberate robot walking style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ive heard reports that the PC demo is shader comp stutter city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Excellent. I've preordered it for PS5 on Amazon so hopefully will have it by release date.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

From the gameplay footage I have watched it appears that hes walking exactly like in the film in the slow clunky manner. I must download the demo and give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Used to love RoboCop as a kid 😊 would love for this to be awesome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having just tried the demo, they’ve embraced the slow, clunky walking style - every step comes with a full on metallic clank. But it’s suitably weighty and still feels responsive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH.....it's a wee bit crap, but the aesthetic and music take it along further for this fan than it should. Plus it has a suitably nice headshot 'feel' with the default weapon.

Everything else about it seems basic, superficial and by the numbers. Be interested to see the final result, but seems 5/10 territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must try the demo out.

Have the 3 main movies on dvd as well as the 4 TV movie miniseries thing, Prime Directives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's kind of like their last Terminator game. They nailed the aesthetic and fan service but the game was very pedestrian. I was hoping the team would have improved but looks like they haven't got the budget again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye....I picked that up on a Steam sale a while back after I read people praising it in retrospect. Not played enough of it to form an informed judgement, but that's part of the problem. There seemed to be very little to warrant continuing on with it. It was just so 'basic'.........and not in the same way that something like a good shooter can be. Just felt almost like a skin over a very simplistic skeleton

I'm sure there's different people involved nowadays, but I guess I'm still turned off by their Rambo effort of near 10 years back. Budget rubbish.

That said, I'd love if this turned out top drawer, and as I said above, there are elements to it that I liked as a fan of Robocop, but is it enough to stretch out over a complete game that would maintain interest levels ? Fair play to them for bringing out the decent-sized demo all the same. Looks the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

I know its only a demo but it could easily be mistaken for last gen. I know its low budget, but it screams...low budget.

Still, I hope it does well and does the Robocop franchise proud. I think that is its only hope.

I think by virtue of the IP and the fact that Robocops movement in general is very clunky this game will get away with alot. The shooting is where it will live or die so hopefully its intuitive and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 at the gates

The game seems great judging by some of the reviews but it's the same old story again with performance. Saw a lot of reviews mention loads of glitches and tanked framerate on ps5.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bought this game through Steam and loving it, when I first loaded the game the menus were very laggy but once the game started performance was fine and it looks decent and plays very well. This is a bit of a low budget title but that helps with the cheesiness of it all just like the movies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its brilliant - I had the same issue with the menus being laggy - I suspect its building shaders or something.

I also just posted in the steam deck thread - its plays really well on the deck even though its not verified yet.

Played through the prologue earlier this morning on PS5. Really enjoyed it and had to drag myself away from it. Performance wise, the cut scenes were a bit janky by times but actual game play had zero issues.

I'm a huge robocop fan anyway and tonally, the dialogue fits perfectly, cheesey and lots of silly one liners.

The game play itself is really fun, you can either blast willy nilly or be more methodical like the movie, the targeting looks awesome.

It's obviously a lower budget game but the kills are very satisfying. I'm a sucker for games with exploding heads and removable limbs and Robo has them in spades, it really reminds me of Soldier of Fortune from the original xbox, not AAA quality but just alot of fun which it is whats important.

Can't wait to get stuck back into it but am in stupid centre parcs for the week.😡

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Alipiama

Didn't expect much from this one, but it's quite fun

• Advertisement

Played a bit more of this and am on to the 3rd section. I'm loving it tbh. It's a really enjoyable game. From blasting bad guys to giving parking tickets, everything just works in it. All the Easter Eggs for fans of the original are a real thrill too, particularly

Murphy finding the chalk outline of his body, missing the arm, in the steel mill and having a momentary glitch. Chefs kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Seems like a really good homage to the original movie. Which is one of the best sci fi action movies ever.

Robocop Carnage.🥰

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked this up the other day, not knowing much about it other than it's supposedly short and janky. And I don't get the love for it. I'm not saying it's bad (it can be), I'm just saying it's not good (but it also can be). Jank there definitely is, but it kinda suits Robocop, the slow lumbering deliberate movement fits. But, it's really annoying when you've to cross across the map, which while not massive, can be large when you're lumbering along (steel mill, I'm looking at you). Character animations are like a slightly polished early Bethesda attempt, and they have the shiniest dead eyes I've ever seen. Most dialogue is ok, some really struggle to pretend it's realy, while others are pretty good. Weller is on form and has the best one liners, some of them are really good in fairness. But overall it's pretty poor imo.

Combat is meaty, literally, chucks galore, headshots getting a lovely blood splatter, explosions sending parts everywhere, all lovely. Just a pity it didn't carry over to the objects, only some of which are destructible. And, I've found with my 10ish hours so far that it gets kinda boring. The gun upgrades do make a difference, and they're done is a neat way, but it nearly negates having a second option. I find myself just gunning through everyone with the pistol. And the levels have some nice touches to them, some interacble objects to help you clear out the goons. Like, Robocop is seriously a mass murderer, just on behalf of the law. It has some amazing moments, but a lot of plodding and too much jank.

There's a great game in there, just feel like it needed a bit more time in the oven. It doesn't even have an intro as such, and just assumes you've recently watched the films (which I hadn't) and starts a new story. I'll finish it up, as I'm probably not that far from the end. But it baffles me how on Metacritic this has 72 but the far better, far more polished, and far more enjoyable Immortals of Aveum is on 69... I don't understand most gamers...

People love the first robocop movie since it's one of the all time greats and this game really nails robocop. I feel the same as you though and it's just like their terminator game, good use of the license but it's a PS2 era level fps game and the PS2 doesn't have good fps games.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

PS2 had Half-Life!

Advertisement