Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a room in a house share in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-10-2023 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

I haven't been to Dublin in many years.

How hard is it to find a room in a house share in Dublin?

And what price range would I be looking at? Would 700 to 1000 Euros per month be the "normal" range these days?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Thanks. But I was more like looking for practical experience.

Like how quickly do they go? Are there enless queues for just one viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

OP, moved to accommodation. Local charter now applies

Yes, I have, but not sure, how it is now. I am looking for help and practical advice, nothing more nothing less.

I've been offered a job, but not sure, if I am really supposed to accept it.

Various phone calls to estate agents or resonses to ads on daft.ie have not been very resultful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Join Facebook groups on accommodation, there are good few. You will be able to see prices and ads etc. Please be aware of scammers of course.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

700-1000 should be enough to rent a room, but these days, it's hard to know. I've known people who paid 600 for a bed in a shared room, for example/

Realistically, the best way to find a decent place is to know someone. My ex was able to rent an attic room with an en-suite for just 500 a month because she knew the family who owned the house and was willing to look after their children occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭89897

There's no practical answer to your question and no answer that doesnt have several dependents. Can you get one for that money yes but it depends on where you're looking, what type of place you want, how many other people are applying at the same time etc.

They go quickly but again that depends on how quick the landlord wants it gone. You can get lucky or you can be very unlucky again depends on alot of factors.

Its not that people are being unhelpful but theres just no solid answer to your question unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

i think that answers your question really

rental crisis

Thanks for that.

I am aware it's bad, I just don't know how bad, and if it's worth even talking the job offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Depends how good this job is, depends on the future prospects this job offers, etc.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Its quite bad and I speak as someone that does not need to rent.

The legislation is pro tenant and landlords have been shafted for a long time so are getting out. If you can find a place under the rent a room scheme, it may suit and it should be a win-win for all concerned. An owner has a spare room and can now legally let it out tax free. You have few rights as such, but rights only come into it if youse fall out.

Otherwise, renting a place comes under RTB rules. Something to be aware of/consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If you know anyone in Dublin who might know of someone renting a room etc would obviously be a great help. Otherwise it's a fairly desperate situation, although there are definitely properties to let. What area(s) are you looking at?

I am open as long as the commute to central Dublin is halfway predictable ( not too much reliance on Dublin bus, but LUAS, DART etc..)

I've been looking at hostingpower.ie.

Is this site recommendable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Talking of commuting - how far are you currently from the proposed job distance wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I avoided anything hostingpower (If I remember their ads correctly, I got some sort of AirBnB vibe off them that they were seriously in the business of exploiting the housing crisis for maximum profit), and replied to more traditional private ads. Any ads with phone numbers worked way better than emailing.

currently, I am overseas.

I would consider Lusk, Rush, Donabate, Skerries, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

You seem to be limiting yourself there. I live in Dublin 24 and the LUAS is super. Also there is a supply of rentals out this way and Lucan. Perhaps consider anywhere on the LUAS lines. They are normally quite reliable (until some ejit crashes into them). The new bus corridors are improving and the travel tickets available are a massive improvement.

With a leap card, you can jump on multiple forms of travel within 90 mins and it is a smaller flat fare. Its like a smart card. I can get a bus from my house to the luas. Then jump the luas to connolly and then the Dart to the Aviva stadium and it is only 2 euro. https://about.leapcard.ie/tfi-90-minute-fare.

Hope this info helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

very difficult, i had to leave my job in Dublin because our leased ended & we couldn’t find other accommodation. Had to move back to the parent’s couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ainm Cleite

It is difficult. I have been on both sides, house hunting and looking for new housemates in recent years. You get hundreds of messages when the add goes up on daft. That being said, most of them are either low effort, in bad English, don't fit the criteria mentioned in the ad, or give off weird vibes. So you might be left with maybe 20ish reasonable candidates. If you can come across as an interesting person with reasonable social skills, you have some chance, but of course will still not be easy.

Remember while looking for a room in a house share, you are usually trying to sell yourself as a potential housemate to the other tenants, rather than as a good tenant to the landlord. What has worked for me over the years is giving a good idea of what I would be like as a person and a housemate. I try to emphasize that I like to hang out and have chats with housemates but also like to keep to myself. Most people don't want some dose chewing the ear of them 24/7 but they usually don't want a hermit either.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Yes, Lucan is nice, I know it and been there before. Dublin 24 has a bit of a stigma to me, but it might have changed.

I will be avoiding estate agents and long queues for just one viewing, but focusing on recommendations of future colleagues and tools the likes of AirBnB. In the beginning a flat / house share will have to do. Also it doesn't mean that I will be successfull in my new job, but still, I have to give it a try. One can always say no later on.

I was guessing that. I also think that that's the major downside attraction of Dubin, and Ireland as a whole. One is expected to pay more than in London or Paris, but Dublin simply isn't that. Prices are high and supply is tight because of poor decison making, and the aftermath of the financial crisis.

It's just that I personally find the job market very hard and was happy to have gotten at least one offer. I've tried it in other countries, but wasn't successful. I honestly would have preferred the UK, with all it's issues, Brexit, greed and constipated politics, strikes in the NHS and public transport, unfriendlier people, but at least I can find a place to live easier.

Oddly the success and the career will depend on how I get on with other house mates. Somebody in HR would never understand that - they are too far from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yup +1 on this, we've looked for housemates a few times you get 400 emails but mostly students ..couples ..people who just wouldn't fit let's just say. You find very few people looking to move up from the country anymore so ya we'd get 20 possible candidates for a really nice room and great area and very affordable... it's odd for all the talk...did viewings for 5 people and 2 had already found a place. That said it's still hard you need to allow yerself a 2-3 months at least.

Few things ...be available to view at anytime and don't try and get a feel for or negotiate move in dates, what they say is what they say. Don't suggest things could get complicated.

Sell yourself ..don't be generic in your email or afraid to say too much about yerself ..it's better to really appeal to a few places then just about or not get noticed by loads of places.

Advertisement