Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vertical wall storage bracket electric cargo bike

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife's e-bike weighs 25kg and i would not like to try to lift that up and down, let alone adding an extra 36kg.

that's about a standard bag and a half of cement.

how much would removing the battery from that bike drop the weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭cletus

What type of wall do you want to hang it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You've got me thinking about this as well as I'm getting a Yuba cargo bike

This might work if you remove the battery, it should be in the weight limit

Although the bikes are supposed to hang, I'd probably install it so the weight is still on the floor. I'm not sure hanging 30+kg from the front wheel would be ideal

Most cargo bikes seem to be designed to sit vertically, so you just need something to stop it falling

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't worry so much about the wheel taking a 30kg load - it's designed to take a lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

If you try to store that cargo bike vertically surely the rear fender / frame / child rails will strike the floor before the bike goes fully vertical? At 36kg, balanced on the rear wheel/frame - you won't lift it unless you're the hulk. Also what length is the bike, will you have the height floor to ceiling?

I tried to store my 25kg ebike vertically (albeit on a hook on the front wheel) and the mudguard hit the floor as I lifted the bike onto the back wheel. I tried to lift it onto the hook and I couldn't. No battery on bike so maybe ~22kg. I'm middle aged and fit enough and I had a suitable clear area to lift the bike but it was too awkward to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was really hoping to get one that was mechanical assisted like this one https://parkis.eu/, due to the weight as it might be a bit of a pain to lift up. Otherwise I'd need one that I could roll on the back wheel into a bracket.

Although it looks like that assisted lift rack would hold a bike of the weight you're looking at, it specifically says that the back wheel must be on the ground.

The rear rack on the Elops you linked to would prevent this from happening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ya I only really noticed that after, so I dont think any rack would work for that, bar a hoist type one which I couldnt have outside. Ill need to look at some other bike options I think

Tern bikes can sit on their rear rack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I saw that bike in Decathlon the other day. I would certainly not like to be lugging that up and down off a wall balanced on its rear wheel or not. It's a beast of a thing.

• Advertisement

In fairness to the OP, the wall mount he's looking at is mechanically assisted, so he won't be lifting the entire weight of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Clever, wonder how easy it is to do? (just noticed the foldable handlebars as well - very clever)

Is that why it has two batterys are on it to add more weight to the rear of bike to park it like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I don't see how any of the options are space saving. I'd be looking at placing the bike out the back garden gully.

That would include putting a hook lockable in the ground. And maybe some foldable coverage for weather.

Treat it like a motorbike.

I'd imagine the 2nd battery is an optional extra for additional range. Its standard Bosch option. I think certain Tern cargo bikes are designed to sit like that, the frames have rubber supports to sit on while upright by the looks of it. No experience of them but Greenaer sell them in Ireland. I think they're very expensive, but overall very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭JMcL

The 2nd battery is optional. Friends in France have one (Tern) and absolutely love it. Now that said, they have a garage with plenty of space so don't need to do anything clever. She did say that initially she had to take it up a couple of steps at work, and it was a struggle. It is a beast of a yoke, and I wouldn't really fancy having to haul it upright on a regular basis. I haven't seen the Elops, but I'd imagine it's same ballpark in terms of weight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Main issue with the Tern is the price tag. It's a serious bike but considering you can buy a 2nd hand electric car for the same amount it's difficult to justify

I think a lot of the longtail bikes can sit on their back to some degree. The big problem with that approach is unless you can lift it in the spot it's going to live you'll probably end up dragging it around on its back. Could end up scratching the floor or bike depending on the surface

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭JMcL

Main issue with the Tern is the price tag. It's a serious bike but considering you can buy a 2nd hand electric car for the same amount it's difficult to justify

Our French friend did make that comment re the price - had the Elops been available when they in the market, they'd have gone that way. In the long run however, they've no regrets as it's been a game changer for their curcumstances

Advertisement