Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granda’s forest

Options
  • 02-10-2023 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folk, my grandfather planted trees on about a third of an acre in Donegal to provide some shelter to his nearby house. Through lack of management it became completely overgrown and many of the trees suffered as a result. Two years ago it was decided that the existing trees be felled except for 5 healthy(ish) oak trees. No trees have been replanted and I was thinking of doing it myself. I have been doing some research and the idea of growing certain species with the intention of coppicing them on rotation is very appealing as I would like to encourage some biodiversity. I’m currently studying furniture making and have seen makers used coppiced hazel creatively to make some beautiful pieces, so getting some thicker stock to use in the future would be a huge plus (I’d also settle for some firewood). The species I have in mind are hazel, birch, and alder (open to suggestions and additions). Right now I’m looking to pick your brains for information on when to plant, ideal spacing for coppicing, what measures I’ll have to use to protect the saplings as they establish themselves, and suggestions on places to buy saplings around the northwest. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Grá mór.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Order whatever trees you need from None so Hardy nurseries, they will deliver, you can plant bare root plants from November to June, plant at 1.5m x 1.5m, alder and birch need very little aftercare when planted they will grow at 1m plus per year, you will need to weed around the hazel for the first few years as its slower to establish

• Registered Users Posts: 2 endagrogs

Thanks Tabby, really helpful info

Advertisement