Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ev Advice (18 - 20k price range)

Options
  • 02-10-2023 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Have an idea in my head a few months now of moving on.

Current car: 2017 30kwh 11 bar Tekna

Not married to Nissan, last two were both Leafs (Leaves??) and served me well.

I see a couple of 20 and 21 Leaf's out there for 19 or 20.

Should I be looking elsewhere also? Or should I move on from the Leaf, is there better bang for buck out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

20k plus the leaf?

Range requirement changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

20k total, either sell the leaf privately or trade it in against (sell lots of stuff but hate selling cars)

No real range requirement changes, ideally more than the 30kwh I have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You'd probably get a kona for that, they are around the 20k mark. Best combo of range vs price. Unless of course your rear passengers have legs.

At €20k we must be near a Kona 64 kWh?

Newer Leaf would be the obvious choice but it’s old tech (I’ve had both the 24 and 40).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

I was thinking that all right.

I see a couple of L64s but would a Kona be better?

😂 advantages of a short arse family I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Don't get an L62 (leaf 62kwh, kona 64kwh) as they are chademo only and you'll already have noticed the support dwindling for chademo charging.

Kona (or eniro or esoul) are a great buy. The kona is generally cheapest as the one spec that was sold in ireland was lacking a lot of spec that was on most Uk cars. We got a mishmash of the two lower specs from the UK. The niro and soul have better spec, like leather seats and adaptive cruise as standard.

I’d rather the Kona over the L62 personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Kona all day long at your budget and there seem to be a few in and around the 20k mark for sale. Some may have Hyundai warranty left as well (the battery warranty was 8 years IIRC so they will all have that) and you could pick one up that had a replacement battery during the last recall. As ELM327 above said though, the space in the rear is tight (shockingly so) and if you are carrying passengers a lot then you may need to look elsewhere.

The e-Niro and the Soul EV are both fantastic cars but you will be pushed to get one in your budget. There is 1 of each for sale right now on Carzone that you may be able to get for ~20k. I have the Soul EV and it is plenty for our needs. Enough leg and head room in the rear for passengers and overall the car is very comfortable. The boot is a little small but we don't have to carry a lot anyway. The e-Niro would be a bigger car all around but at the end of the day, depends on what you want.

Don't overlook the Ioniq 28/38 here either. I had a plug in hybrid version of it before the Soul EV and loved it. Plenty of those in your budget also.

Not sure if my carzone search will come through on the link but here you go: Search for used and new cars for sale in Ireland (carzone.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Niro 64kWh used and low mileage non dealer is in your price range, maybe year 2020. Will have 300-450km real world range, charging is faster than any leaf but not super fast compared to newer premium EVs. Same platform as Kona just a bit bigger. Not massive so try it for size. Not a looker but gets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Another option would be the ID3, there are a few for sale asking around 22k (2021 models).

Id definitely go for a car with CCS if I had the choice. Assuming you do any travelling around.

Advertisement