Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Maintenance advice

Options
  • 01-10-2023 2:12pm

My child is now 16, is still in full-time education and has a part-time job. His Mam is working away. I can't find any info online about whether I should be still paying maintenance or not. The only info is if he's in full-time education I still need to pay. That I feel seems to be very general info. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Comments

He's in full time education. Of course you still need to pay.

The fact that he is working part time is absolutely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Maintenance up to aged 18 but this goes on until aged 23 if they are in full time education.

Their (the child) income does not come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Do you seriously think a 16 year old in full time education with a part time job, is earning enough to be fully self-sustaining?

Of course you still have to pay maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

surely the 16 year old having a part time job, is a good life lesson! Not one that should see him or his custodial parent penalized financially? C'mon now. If circumstances have changed substantially for you, then you could ask the court to alter the maintenance order. But that has nothing to do with a child getting a part time job for pocket money, to buy nice clothes, or save up for college/a car/a holiday etc.

Advertisement