Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon US Pre-clearance security

Options
  • 30-09-2023 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

How long realistically should I be in Shannon for ei111 1259 to jfk? What happens US Pre-clearance? Never done it before and bringing kids. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

2hrs is plenty of time at SNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

What actually happens? It’s very vague online. Thanks. We did the esta online and all grand. Do they ask kids questions? Don’t want my little fella putting his foot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

US CBP take your finger prints and ask you to identify pictures of your suit cases. It’s all very quick and easy. Might be a bit about where are you going etc but they know well in advance who you are etc. you will be called to go through CBP at 11am. Then it’s sitting around gate 8 at the coffee shop for boarding at 12

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They won't ask children any questions. They just ask you things like where you're going, where you're staying, when you're coming home, usual questions about luggage, purpose of trip etc. Will possibly ask if you've been to the US before, if so when and for how long.

They are polite but firm and not friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭tinytobe

After pre clearance in Ireland the planes would arrive at a domestic terminal in the US, making it easier to connect to flights?

Is luggage checked through to the final destination in the US?

• Advertisement

Aer Lingus code share with Jet blue for onward connection. Your luggage will be transferred however they recently moved from Terminal 5 to 7 which is a pain as you have to exit the terminal and rejoin security etc. to go back into terminal 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭tinytobe

But the luggage is still checked through and the arrival ist still domestic?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Not always the case that they're not friendly. Have had good natured chats with several of them in SNN (and a few in DUB and elsewhere). And, for balance, a couple of grumpy ones too. Just treat them with respect and don't worry. Shannon is a breeze to travel through - state of the art security with only very short queues (usually). Give it the recommended two hours, but that ought to be plenty of time.

Thanks folks. Sounds pretty simple then. We are getting off in jfk so no transfer. Is there a similar process coming home? Sounding stupid but not been in US since 2001 and it was very easy then, just like going to Paris or Heathrow.

The planes a321neo seem very narrow for transatlantic too. That said, my previous transatlantic flights were on 747 that were huge and near empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why would there be a similar process coming home? You just go through passport control in Dublin like you do for any other flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sorry, Shannon, not Dublin, but same deal.

Also, make sure you don't get stung by any of the 3rd party sites when you're doing your ESTA.

Thanks. I did it months ago and got approved. Weird form.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea it's gonna be narrow and fairly cramped. Personally I wouldn't like doing transatlantic on a narrow body, even though realistically the space you have in your seat is almost the same, the whole thing will feel more packed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Went to Chicago in the summer, no queue at all for pre clearance, up to the booth and straight through.

Also handy that you don't have to do security again like in Dublin. 757 was a bit small for the 8hrs 10minutes it took that day, however it was still well tolerable.

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kevin2808

The Dublin security check for CBP is gone in Dublin thankfully , or at least was when i went through it in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

How do they handle SSSS passengers now? Are they screened separately at the main security check?

Does anyone know if a change in Point of Contact on the ESTA is a issue? I got a ESTA approved last year for Boston but travelling to New York this year. I was able to change the address to New York but not point of contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

I’m open to correction, but I think once you have an ESTA you can travel multiple times to different US destinations without amending it. I certainly have. As long as you’re within the period of validity (two years?), you should be ok…

Yes. Have travelled to multiple states on same ESTA.

Thats great thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geronimo123

Heading over to New York shortly for New Years with wife & kids from Shannon. Is it necessary to print off the ESTA or just have the e-mail ready on your phone? We've booked a transfer through the Aer Lingus website - do drivers in JFK just wait for when you come through the arrival doors with your name like other airports? Lastly, I read everything is digital now and US CBP no longer stamp passports, I was wondering if I could ask just for the kids as it's their first time? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

You don't need to print off the ESTA or even show it. It's linked to your passport, once that's scanned, check in and US Border agents can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

That (no US CBP security) happened to me in early December. I thought I was special (🙂) but sounds like it is the new norm. Great news.

Also, shout out to the person who notes EI now in terminal 7 in JFK. Will avoid JFK now for connections. Boston the best. ORD involved terminal transfer too which is a pain as another security check.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you fly Delta from SNN to JFK you won't have to change terminals for a connection now they're consolidated in T4.

Did EI380 yesterday, 13 minutes from getting out of the car to sitting up at the bar with a pint of Guinness post checking a bag & doing security.

SNN is a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Slightly OT to the thread - Flew home (to DUB) from JFK Terminal 7 on the 30th. God what a sh1tshow the security is there.

They have 2 of the new x-ray machines (where you can leave everything in), but at 7pm, the only open lanes were the 2 old style machines down the opposite end.

Doesn't help that there's no space beforehand for unloading belongings onto trays, and they were only using the full body scanners so everyone had to take off belts and shoes! Then when you're through all that, there's a few benches to repack your belongings 🥴 And once you're done with all that, you get a very simple selection of shops & restaurants...

Advertisement